• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Weber MiniMass and Torpedo CAB (Noob Inquiry)

ClassicLP

Hello TGP,

Would someone knowledgeable please help me out here? I am interested in using my Mesa head's power tube section and my Torpedo CAB's cabinet and mic simulation to record. (Yes, I know I Torpedo has a power tube emulation that I can power with Mesa's preamp via the effects loop, but that is not what I want to do here.)

So, this is a connection/set up question. The mesa>weber as dummy load>torpedo cab> DI

Since Weber states the speaker can be safely unplugged for DI recording, do I send the audio from the attenuator's "line out" or "to speaker" into torpedo?

I have been using line out, and when the signal hits torpedo, it is very hot. Even though I have maximum attenuation, the volume has to hover around 9 o'clock, otherwise Torpedo cab will send an "input overload" warning.

As stated earlier, I do understand that I can use just the preamp, via effects loop send, and utilize the torpedo power amp simulation. However, I want to understand all the facets of these amazing audio units.

CJSutton

Hello TGP,

Would someone knowledgeable please help me out here? I am interested in using my Mesa head's power tube section and my Torpedo CAB's cabinet and mic simulation to record. (Yes, I know I Torpedo has a power tube emulation that I can power with Mesa's preamp via the effects loop, but that is not what I want to do here.)

So, this is a connection/set up question. The mesa>weber as dummy load>torpedo cab> DI

Since Weber states the speaker can be safely unplugged for DI recording, do I send the audio from the attenuator's "line out" or "to speaker" into torpedo?

I have been using line out, and when the signal hits torpedo, it is very hot. Even though I have maximum attenuation, the volume has to hover around 9 o'clock, otherwise Torpedo cab will send an "input overload" warning.

As stated earlier, I do understand that I can use just the preamp, via effects loop send, and utilize the torpedo power amp simulation. However, I want to understand all the facets of these amazing audio units.
Hi. I want to help you out!

the LINE OUT is a line-level signal, a sample of the amp's output, and if you have the standard MASS unit, you can also control this via a line out volume control and three-band EQ. (our other units don't have this level of control over the line out). this line out signal is independent of the attenuation - which is controlled by the SPEAKER VOLUME knob. if you don't want any sound coming from your cabinet, make sure this is turned all the way down.

now, I want to mention that the LINE OUT level is dependent on the actual volume of the amp.

I admit that I am not familiar with the Torpedo cab, so let me do some research and get myself up to speed on that. in the meantime I wanted to offer some insight on how the MASS works in regards to the line out.

If you think of something integral that will help me understand your setup more, let me know. I am off to read about the Torpedo

thanks

CJSutton

*slaps self in head* I just read the title of the thread again and realized you are talking about the Minimass! yeah, the only way to control the line out volume is by the volume of your amp itself.

ClassicLP

*slaps self in head* I just read the title of the thread again and realized you are talking about the Minimass! yeah, the only way to control the line out volume is by the volume of your amp itself.
CJ, two follow up questions:

Line out is NOT attenuated? If so, no wonder it is overloading the Torpedo Cab

Can I use the "speaker out" into the DI box? Thereby, having an attenuated signal going in the Torpedo Cab?

CJSutton

Right, the Line Out is not controlled by the volume knob. it is independent of the attenuation section. now, it is knocked down via a resistor to approximate line levels, so it is padded, just not variably controllable. i think the output from the TO SPEAKER jack is going to be way higher. from what I am reading about the Torpedo Cab, it is a unit that is designed to take just pedals or a preamp into its input, not necessarily a full amp signal. have you tried turning the amp's volume down? this will lower the line out signal from the minimass.

let me know

ClassicLP

Right, the Line Out is not controlled by the volume knob. it is independent of the attenuation section. now, it is knocked down via a resistor to approximate line levels, so it is padded, just not variably controllable. i think the output from the TO SPEAKER jack is going to be way higher. from what I am reading about the Torpedo Cab, it is a unit that is designed to take just pedals or a preamp into its input, not necessarily a full amp signal. have you tried turning the amp's volume down? this will lower the line out signal from the minimass.

let me know

Torpedo cab can take an amp, too. I turned down the volume. Everything is kosher. Ty very much.

ClassicLP

thrilled to help out. if you need anything else, just let me know.
By the way, tremendous product you guys have with the minimass. We have a small studio over here and are limited as to when we can track. We can reserve day sessions for drums and horns and do guitars in the evenings, when previously we could on do bass DI and vocals.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Hello TGP,

If you plug anything into the speaker out- it will bypass the load of the MASS. You should be using the line out from the MiniMass to input of the CAB, making sure the CABs input switch is set to line in, not instrument in?

ClassicLP

If you plug anything into the speaker out- it will bypass the load of the MASS. You should be using the line out from the MiniMass to input of the CAB, making sure the CABs input switch is set to line in, not instrument in?
Got it. I have been doing exactly what you described.

Trending Topics