Weber MiniMass with Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarArt1980, Aug 15, 2016.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I've narrowed my attenuator search down to Weber's offerings. If I'm just looking to shave a few dbs, would a MiniMass 50w (set to 4ohm) work with a Super Reverb (2 ohm)?

There is also the Mass Lite 50w which uses "impedence swamping" to work with multiple impedences. Anyone know if this works ok with a 2 ohm amp?

2. Business

Business Member

If you run the amp at 2 ohms into a 4 ohm load, you're OK most of the time
    If your MiniMass is set to 4 ohm and you run it into a 2 ohm load, you might have a problem

3. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Don't know about the Weber, but I use a 4 Ohm HotPlate on my SR and THD confirmed it was safe to use it. No problems for the lasr 10 years. Maybe ask Weber directly? I once asked DrZ about their AirBrake lite for my SR and they replied that it was not safe to use on 2 Ohm loads....maybe it depends on the design of the attenuator...

4. Business

Business Member

Well... from the Hot Plate manual:

"Q. Can I still use the Hot Plate if it has a different impedance than my amp?
    A. ONLY if the impedance of the Hot Plate is EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN that of the amp. However, this will lessen the effectiveness of the Hot Plate’s tone controls.
    Q. If I am using just one speaker cabinet, can I still use the Hot Plate if it has a different impedance than my speaker cabinet?
    A. ONLY if the impedance of the speakers is equal to or greater than the amplifi er, AND the impedance of the Hot Plate is equal to or greater than the amp. Again, this will lessen the effectiveness of the Hot Plate’s tone controls."

I'd try to hunt down a used 2 ohm hot plate

5. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Thanks, I read this and then contacted THD that confirmed me that the 4 Ohm HP is absolutely safe to use with the SR...been doing it for about 10 years now...no problems. Maybe it's because Fenders tolerate impedance mismatches better than other amps???
    But regarding the Weber I would contact Weber directly to be sure. As I said, DrZ told me to absolutely not use it with the SR...??

6. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Thanks for the advice so far. I just sent Weber an email. If the answer is no, I'll be looking for a 2 ohm Hot Plate.

7. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Already got a response from Weber: "if you use the minimass, it would be on the 4 ohm setting. with the Mass Lite, you don’t need to do anything special."

Looks like this is gonna work.

8. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Great! Report back how it works out

9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I love my Weber Mass.