Weber Mix in a 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonemnstr, Apr 18, 2008.

1. tonemnstr

tonemnstr Member

First post here... looks like a great forum!

I'm retooling an old Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. It had the stock G12T's which were way too thin and harsh. I picked up some V30's which were better but still seeming to lack something. I've been looking at posts that talk about mixing Scumback H55/H75 for a nice tonal mix. I'm curious if anyone has attempted this with the "Ted" Spec Weber using the 1777 cone and a British 55Hz cone....

Driving these with either a 1987 or a 2203...

2. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

I had a 4x12 with 30w blue dogs and 30w silver bells, was pushing it with a JCM800 2204. It sounded good, but I think the blue dogs were a bit too bright for it. I just sold those blue dogs and moved the silver bells into an old bassman 2x12 cab (the huge one). I'm using it with a bassman head and it sounds great, a much better eq balance for marshall type sounds than with the blue dogs in the mix.

For webers to match up with a Marshall, I'd go with silver bells, 1230's, or 1230-55's. Personally, I'll give the silver bells a big thumbs up.

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

It's tough to recommend any speaker without proper information. Here's what I usually ask players.

When I recommend speakers for players, it’s important to know their tone needs. Can you fill in the blanks on these questions for me, please? Then I can make an informed recommendation on speakers to improve your tone.

1. Guitar/pickups used, how do you set your pickup volume/gain?
    2. Amp/tubes used/clean RMS rating and OD power rating? Where is your volume set?
    3. Fx used?
    4. Style of music or name a famous guitarist's tone you’re trying to get close to?
    5. Size and depth of cabinet (dimensions), is it a straight or angled, open or closed back type?
    6. What speakers are you using now and what do you think needs improvement?

4. tonemnstr

tonemnstr Member

Thanks for the reply..

1. Guitar/pickups used, how do you set your pickup volume/gain?

Main guitar is a PRS Custom 24, sometimes and '78 Dean (very LP sounding) and an occasional Strat. Usually full up on the volume for most work but I do need to able to back off to clean it up.

2. Amp/tubes used/clean RMS rating and OD power rating? Where is your volume set?

Either a '74 Marshall 1987 w/6550's (also playing with yellow jackets & EL84) or a '78 Marshall 2203 with EL'34s. Both Are 50 watt heads and I'm lucky if I ever reach 5 on the Master vol.

3. Fx used?

Usually none. If there were it would be a chorus or octaver.

4. Style of music or name a famous guitarist's tone you’re trying to get close to?

Nothing with the word "core" in it :dude. I gravitate toward things like Slash's lead tone, Gary Moore lead tone on Still Got the Blues..fat & warm. The rhythm tone of early AC-DC. Classic/vintage rock I guess

5. Size and depth of cabinet (dimensions), is it a straight or angled, open or closed back type?

It's a Marshall JCM 800 1936. It's the one with handles on the sides vs. top. I don't have the exact dimensions handy but could certainly provide. Closed back.

6. What speakers are you using now and what do you think needs improvement?

Vintage 30's. They seem to be a bit on the brittle/brash side. Especially when compared to my Greenbacks (actual vintage ones not reissues). Low end seems ok.

5. tonemnstr

tonemnstr Member

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You'll want the H75/H75-LHDC mix for that tone setup. I'd recommend the 65 watt versions, 16 ohms, wired in parallel to 8 ohms total load.