Weber NeoMag in Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by otherone, Mar 12, 2015.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Anyone try these 10" speakers in an old blackface princeton reverb? thoughts, opinions? Want to replace my Jensen reissue c10q...I like it a lot, especially the highs, but I want louder and cleaner...have tried Weber 10f150, jupiter 10lc...both great, but definitely both with rounder highs...I like the sparkly highs from the Jensens...want to keep that fender sparkle

2. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

3. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I had a Jensen MOD-12. Didn't like it at all. But what I really wanted to say is, you're going to need some extra energy for those late night gigs, right?! ;)

[​IMG]

5. Jon Silberman

OK, I'm done ****ing around. Not a PR but a direct comparison of the Weber Neos with the JBLs they're designed to emulate.

P.S. Cleaner, yes. Louder, likely not. I've owned NeoMags in the past. They are good speakers but they are not especially efficient or loud.

6. Roe

Roe Member

some reported that the neomags didn't sound good in a small 1x10 cab like the princetone, although they did sound good in bigger cabs like 4x10s and 2x12s

7. Roe

Roe Member

my neomag 12s work ok in a twin reverb. I'm tempted to try the telonic 12-8s though

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I had the weber NEO 10 in my princeton for a day. It sounded anemic. It needs a bigger cabinet IMHO.

9. Jon Silberman

Hey, smolder, was yours a brand new one? Because if yes, I've heard the NeoMags require and benefit from a serious breaking in ("opens them up").

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Does this apply to all neo speakers? I tried a Emi Tonkerlite and thought it was way too thin. It now resides in a box in the closet.

Low volume and clean was OK but just OK and any OD was awful.

Thanks

11. Jon Silberman

I think it applies generally to all speakers BUT I've heard (grapevine) it's especially true for Weber NeoMags.

12. thebowl

thebowl Member

Why not just look for a JBL E110? They aren't that hard to find, and they sound wicked in a Princeton Reverb.

13. Jon Silberman

An E110 is about 12 lbs., a Neomag 10 6 lbs. That's important to some. Also, I wonder, will an E110 actually fit into a PR?

14. Roe

Roe Member

the e110 sounds great though

15. smolder

You might be right Jon. But when I matched it with another 10 in a double wall blues breaker like cab, it performed well. I also it it in the vibrolux reverb and it sounded good. I probably only put 10-12 hours on it before unloading it. I still think it needs some mass provided by the cab, a JBL by contrast thrives on minimal cabinet construction

16. smolder

Yah, a K110, though it might cost you more will be in between... And to me is as fine a ten as you can put in a Princeton or princeton Reverb.

17. thebowl

thebowl Member

Sure does.

Mine probably won't be coming out but, if it did, I would replace it with the Eminence Legend 1058 that I had in it before. Also beautiful clean tone, just not as complex as the JBL.

Both of these speakers are well-matched with a PR, in that they can handle far more wattage than the amp can deliver. And you can ask any old fart, that is key to having the right amp/speaker match. I also feel fairly strongly that the PR sounds best with ceramic, despite that fact the I use alnico speakers in my other amps.

18. Jon Silberman

Several people in this thread reported preferring the Ragin Cajun over the Legend 1058 (just sharing the thread, I'm not personally familiar with either).

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=619993