Weber Silver Bell Speaker Question

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
The gain and the speaker choice must be related. Last night I was testing my Frenzel amp again. I had it hooked up to the ceramic Weber Michigan, and the master volume was full bore, EL34's in it (not the stock 6L6's), the guitar was full bore, and I eased up the channel gain to about 20% (9 o'clock). The leads were loud, but man it sounded exactly like the lead guitar in Ramblin Man.......smooth, sustain, singing, hear every note in the chord even though it was slightly over driven, etc.... same smooth all the way up and down the neck.

Then I simply switched to the EV speaker. Instant fizzy, buzzy distortion, especially noticeable in the low end, not bad sound but suddenly there was that buzzy element I didn't want, and it was worse depending on how hard I dig in with the pick.

Is the EV bad? I dont think so, it sounds beautiful with the Mesa amp. Is the Michigan covering up something? Perhaps, kinda sounds like it. Solution to get the same smooth sound from the EV? I turned the master down to 80% (3 o'clock) and it cleaned it right up.

The speaker and the master volume setting are the only two things I changed. Had to run at 100% volume to get the desired sound from the Michigan, had to run at 80% volume to get the same sound from the EV. Probably would have needed slightly different settings still if I had some third speaker to plug in to.

Seems as though the amp really is "sensitive" to what speaker it is paired up with. I estimate the Michigan at sensitivity of 98-99. I estimate the EV to be around 102. The Michigan is not brute force, in your face, brutally honest like the EV. Fortunately all I had to do in this case was turn the volume down 20%.

prsnstrat

My alnico Silver had that problem under high gain too. Ended up being one of the best speakers I've ever owned after it was broken in.

JDW3

JDW3, is your Silver Bell doped? To what extent does doping affect cone cry, early buzz, break-in period on these speakers? Sorry for hijacking, just occurred to me that this might be a variable affecting individual experiences.

JEEEZ! It's only been over 2 years! OK, I'll respond now.

MY speaker was bought from a member, and was not fully broken in until at least a year. I didn't use it that much but as I kept using the Ampeg, the tone got bassier and lost the highend distortion.

My Tophat CR 2x12 had a Weber Blue Dog and it went out. I pulled the SB from the Ampeg and the Tophat has never sounded better. Maybe the Blue Dog was defective? The SB is a better match for the Celestion GB in the Tophat. Much clearer somehow. The tone has a real nice upper mid chime to it.

JDW3

Jeez, It's only been 9 years?

The Silver Bell has finally given up. Lots of high end fizz; sounds like a recone. Amp still sounds great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom