weber silver bell vs. blue dog

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MrDoty, Oct 22, 2008.

1. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

for all those with experience, we are talking ceramic here. can you name the tonal differences between those speakers. im thinking about putting one or both in my budda 2x12 combo. im looking for smooth tone with tight bass.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Blue Dog is brighter. I tried a 50 watt Ceramic Silver Bell with Pre-Rola Doping and it didn't do anything for me.

Smooth, tight bass = Heritage G12-65.

3. highrise

highrise Member

There's a thread around here that basically says these two together (one of each) are greater than the sum of the parts.

I'm currently kicking around the idea of either this...or a pair of cannabis rex's

4. hipfan

hipfan Member

Both are great, versatile speakers. SB and BD are similar, but the SB's eq emphasis is slightly more towards the low mids than the BD. The BD is more transparent in the upper mids and top end IMO. They actually work very well together in a 2x12 arrangement. I bet they'd be great in a Budda open back combo.

BTW, as long as you don't have the SD80, go with Weber's 30 watt coil instead of the 50. Much more lively and dynamic IMO. Also, I like the pre-Rola treatment on some 1225's I have, but not so much on the Blue Dog. I'd stick with Weber's standard light or medium doping on the BD or SB, no pre-Rola treatment. FWIW.

5. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

its a sd45 with 6l6 in it. im looking to get away from the crunchyness of my g12h30's. i want a smooth sound thats really clear and articulate. any recomendations are welcome. g1265's sound like the bomb although expensive.

6. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

I have a 15 watt Alnico Blue Dog and Silver Bell with lite dope in my 65amps cab that I use with a London. They seemed to be smoother than the G12H30/Celestion Alnico Blue that came stock in it, have more low end and lowered the overall volume of the cab. Everything I was looking for from them.

Unfortunately, there is no way to be certain which speaker is right for you. Trial and error has been the only thing that's worked for me so far. Fortunately, I've yet to try a Weber speaker I didn't like.

I'd try them one at a time. For that amp I'd go with a 30 watt Ceramic Silver Bell with Pre-Rola dope first.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Eminence Private Jacks, seriously. Next to Scumbacks these are my 2nd favorites. Heritage G12-65's come in 3rd.

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

I think a mix of one Blue Dog and one Silver Bell could be a great option for you. I would go 30 watt coils, light or medium doping. Gtrs is correct though - the only way to know for sure is some trial and error. The BD/SB mix could be perfect for you.

Actually, depending on budget restrictions, another great option for your tonal preferences (smoother than H30's, clear, articulate) would be the Scumback Scumnico's. Now, *those* are some sweet speakers! I bet they would work a treat with the SD45...

9. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

This pretty well expresses my experience with 30-W AlNiCo versions of each. They compliment each other well. I would choose the Blue Dog if I had to choose only one, as the upper frequency detail is supreme. Fortunately, I don't need to make that choice. :D

- Thom

10. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

If you like the Blue Dog, wait til you try a 15 inch alnico Blue Dog! :BEER

11. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I'll be selling a blue and silver 50w each.. dont know what the doping is ... as soon as I figure out what they are worth.. email me/pm if interested... just not using a 2x12 anymore... they sounded great together..

12. Roe

Roe Member

go for both or the silver on its own (since the silver sounds smoother and tighter than the blue)

13. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I did a SB/BD combo in my open back 2x12 and couldn't be happier. Ceramic, light dope, 30 watts. Tight Marshall crunch heaven w/ amazing cleans.

14. highrise

highrise Member

How do they do (together) in a closed back situation?

15. el34power

el34power Member

The emi red fang is a great speaker for some blue flavor.. a little tighter that my 50 watt blue dog IMO

16. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

They sound about the same as in a an open back but with more thump. 50w ceramics, light dope. I prefer them open. To much thump. Although, I like them in a closed cab in combo with another set of speakers open cab.