Weber Speakers-Have I been missing the boat?

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
11,677
Not sure why but I''ve never owned or even tried a Weber speaker. The 1230-55 and the Ceramic blue Dog look to be really cool speakers. They are priced right as well. I may have to place an order.

Have I been missing out?
 

wordsonyou

Member
Messages
1,121
Originally posted by Dave Leslie
Not sure why but I''ve never owned or even tried a Weber speaker. The 1230-55 and the Ceramic blue Dog look to be really cool speakers. They are priced right as well. I may have to place an order.

Have I been missing out?
I have really dug certain weber speakers - I love their 15 watt alnico blue dog and really like all the silver dogs and the ceramic versions are also nice. I have also enjoyed their v30 clone. On the other hand certain of their speaks have not been my favorite - like the California. It is all taste.
 

illinimax

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
1,594
Originally posted by Dave Leslie
Not sure why but I''ve never owned or even tried a Weber speaker. The 1230-55 and the Ceramic blue Dog look to be really cool speakers. They are priced right as well. I may have to place an order.

Have I been missing out?
I would have answered "no" a few years ago, but the Weber models I've purchased the last 2 years or so have been excellent. A few others have noticed this trend as well. Ted and TA are always tinkering, looking to improve in my experience. To top it off they're made right here in middle America.

I really like the ceramic Blue Dog 30 watt, lightly doped, preferring it to a greenback or G12H30. It just sings!
 

Antero

Member
Messages
1,444
Originally posted by illinimax
I really like the ceramic Blue Dog 30 watt, lightly doped, preferring it to a greenback or G12H30. It just sings!
I agree with that! I've got the same speaker, it sounds fantastic. Chimey, complex tone, no high-end icepick effect at all, and a fantastic low end response.

So yes, you're missing out. :D
 

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
9,740
Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
No.
I agree! BUT, they have a huge variety and all depends on what you like and (imo) how loud you play.. They're very toneful , I'll say that!

ERIC
 

Mr.Hanky

Member
Messages
4,045
Mine were horrible, period end of story.

Ted's solution, "try some more"

Uh yeah great idea, since the blues dog and silver bell were both BAD I'll just keep trying them till I find one that works, great idea. :rolleyes:

Cone cry does not even begin to explain the horrendoud noise these speakers made with a LOW powered amp.
I speak from expereince and I'll never buy another Weber again.
 

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
5,968
Dave;

The g1265 weber is great for that type. The weber g12h30 is really nice too

I have not tried the silver bell yet ans ome of the others yet
 

tybone

Member
Messages
1,076
I have a weber 1230-55 and I like it very much. It is provides much needed bottom end and thump if you play a strat. I find it can be a little much with for certain amps humbucking equipped guitars.
 

teefus

Senior Member
Messages
8,941
i have 2x weber blue pup alnicos, a weber thames and a michigan. all excellent, imho. weber makes great speakers and stand behind their product 100%. great company to deal with.
 

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
10,908
Weber makes the Scumback speakers. Sure, they're a custom build, with different components and build techniques than his other speakers, and voiced to sound like a "perfect sounding" Pre Rola G12H (and other Pre Rola models), but Weber still makes them. I don't think another speaker maker would take the time, trouble and put in the effort it takes to make them.

Mr. Hanky, last weekend when you were at Althrax's house, the speaker in his (Scumbag conversion) amp was a Scumback SA12-LHDC. That is also made by Weber. Apparently you thought it sounded great...

Quality control has been kicked up quite a few notches in the last few years. I believe a number of folks here would tell you that whatever "issues" you might have had in the past are now history.
 

GuitarG

Member
Messages
374
Originally posted by teefus
weber makes great speakers and stand behind their product 100%. great company to deal with.
I concur. For the last 3-4 years I've been using Webers in most all of my amps. Great tone and I've never had a problem. And I am cranking them on a regular basis.
 

Laroosco!

Member
Messages
2,604
I used a 2x12 with a Ceramic Blue Dog annd a Ceramic Silver Bell with my Matchless Clubamn and I never haad a problem. They sounded great.

I'm currently trying to decide which Webers to put in my Z Best.
 

Reeek

Member
Messages
1,196
Originally posted by illinimax
I really like the ceramic Blue Dog 30 watt, lightly doped, preferring it to a greenback or G12H30. It just sings!

+1 on that. To me, the best all around mid powered speaker for the money today. I dig the ceramic Blue Dogs a lot.
 

Mr.Hanky

Member
Messages
4,045
While I'd love to agree with you all I simply can not.

I have heard things are better but my experience with them was bad and my dealings with Ted were worse.
When I had these two speakers they came in a Jenkins 2X12, the band was in the process of recording our album. I called Ted to ask about this anamoly, his first response was to re-dope them. They were already lightly doped and I was not about to start pulling speakers, doping and trying again. Plus the more doping you use the less responsive the speaker sounds.

His other "advice" while on the phone was that "most guys just play around it" THAT is one quote I will never ever forget! Play around it!!?? yeah ok, I'll just completely avoid any notes above the 12th fret, why the hell didn't I think of that.

I was in a thread EXACTLY like this on Harmony-Central about 2 years ago and Ted chimed in. Not once, either in that post or on the phone the first time did he EVER offer to look at them for me. The post on HC is where he said he was sorry I had a bad experience and perhaps I should try some more of his products. :rolleyes:

If you have them and like them that is great, had a good experience with them that is wonderfull too. I did not, in fact it was all bad. And I know I am not the only one out there, I have spoken with a few amp manufacturers that have tried them with no luck, or with the same bad cone cry I encountered. I am glad to hear he has gotten his sheet together cause frankly, he needed to badly.
 

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
9,740
Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
While I'd love to agree with you all I simply can not.

I have heard things are better but my experience with them was bad and my dealings with Ted were worse.
When I had these two speakers they came in a Jenkins 2X12, the band was in the process of recording our album. I called Ted to ask about this anamoly, his first response was to re-dope them. They were already lightly doped and I was not about to start pulling speakers, doping and trying again. Plus the more doping you use the less responsive the speaker sounds.

His other "advice" while on the phone was that "most guys just play around it" THAT is one quote I will never ever forget! Play around it!!?? yeah ok, I'll just completely avoid any notes above the 12th fret, why the hell didn't I think of that.

I was in a thread EXACTLY like this on Harmony-Central about 2 years ago and Ted chimed in. Not once, either in that post or on the phone the first time did he EVER offer to look at them for me. The post on HC is where he said he was sorry I had a bad experience and perhaps I should try some more of his products. :rolleyes:

If you have them and like them that is great, had a good experience with them that is wonderfull too. I did not, in fact it was all bad. And I know I am not the only one out there, I have spoken with a few amp manufacturers that have tried them with no luck, or with the same bad cone cry I encountered. I am glad to hear he has gotten his sheet together cause frankly, he needed to badly.
It's not only you , but so far on this thread you're alone , except for my hint. I've had excellent toneful Webers that would be great for loads of people. I also have 3-4 or 5 in my basement that are unuseable including some 1970's Blackback g12h30 recones . I never knew what conecry was before , as for 20+ years I used Celestions , Ev's, ALtecs, Jbls's etc.. ALso had some old Oxfords, Jensens, etc.. Meanwhile , I'm not sure why they let speakers go 'out the door' with conecry ,but yes I surely have some , and they're unuseable.
Eric
 

riffmeister

Member
Messages
16,615
Originally posted by illinimax
I would have answered "no" a few years ago, but the Weber models I've purchased the last 2 years or so have been excellent.........
Yeah, I've wondered about that. I've had three Alnico Blue Dogs and not liked any of them. The first one had real problems (voice coil rub), the next two just sounded blah. But it's been a good three years since I owned them, and I suspect the designs and QC have gotten better.
 

57special

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
4,804
I've thought that he's been doing a great job on most of his Jensen type speakers (which he admits to being most partial to) for quite a while longer than 3 years, say 7 at least . In particular his P12Q's , P10Q's, C10Q's. Putting the former in a tweed deluxe and the latter in a BFSR is the way to go for me. Also like his Michigan speakers as a low cost alternative to an EV. Not as sure about his Calis (JBL knock offs ) , but i don't like JBL's much in the 1st place.
Not saying your experience isn't valid, Mr. Hanky, or Eric, but i'm grateful Ted's around. Try and think of another speaker maker who offers the same variety of speaker, and usually at a lower cost (let alone he'll recone tham really cheaply), plus the cool and reasonably priced other items such as his attenuators amp kits Z matchers, Beam blockers, etc...
Oh, and then there's the Scumbacks!
 




Trending Topics

Top