Weber Thames. Would they work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sproul09, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sproul09

sproul09 Member

I am thinking of putting Weber Thames in my 1960A cab. I already have 2 old JBL's in it (E-120 & K-120), would the Thames work in the cab? Like would I run the risk of them being damaged because the JBL's run more wattage? They're all 8 ohms, so would I have a problem? I'm just looking to blend the sound a bit. Get a little bit of that British chime into the sound

2. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

It would work just fine to add some brit grit and chime as long as they are all the same ohms. More importantly what head/power amp will be you running into it? Thames are 80W I believe so a pair will handle most any head out there except for a Diezel Herbert :)

3. sproul09

sproul09 Member

I'll be running a '85 Marshall JCM 800 100w head through it.

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

FWIW, Weber just released a new speaker, the Axis 12. It's a copy of a Fane AX12. The ceramic version is only $10 more than the ceramic Thames and it handles 100w. Just another something to think about :D

5. sproul09

sproul09 Member

Damn, why did you have to tell me that! I finally had my mind made up! lol They look interesting, I still think im going to get the Thames though

6. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

yeah me too, in fact I'd like to find a Hiwatt Fane closer knockoff that sounds like the fane/thames yet only handles 50 watts, not sure if eminence makes one but any suggestions would be helpful :)

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Then why not ask Ted to make a 50W version or go with the alnico Thames at 60W?