Weber Trannies

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 56_Special, Aug 1, 2006.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Lots of people love Weber speakers. How are their trannies? Any comparisons? to Mecury Magnetics trannies? The Webers are a lot cheaper.

Thanks!

Martin

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'm 99% certain that Weber's transformers are made in China. People who buy Weber amp kits often dump the trannys and upgrade to MMs.

You usually get what you pay for.

3. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Weber iron, is indeed made in China. Like your flatscreen TV, the computer you'r e using to read this, most all of your clothes, some Celestion Speakers, Voxes,...It's also great sounding iron. Doubt they'd have a problem making something as simple as a good sounding transformer if it was spec'ed by someone who knew what they were doing (like, say, Ted??). The Webers are cheaper because of the labor rates, AND the fact that he buys thousands of them at a time, not 20. You usually get what you pay for, and sometimes what you pay TOO much for.

4. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

I recently finished an 18W TMB Weber clone and it sounds great with the stock iron: surprisingly good. I have two other Weber kits to build, and, the only changes I am going to make are the jacks and switches. I think these kits are a great value.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

China is not usually a country you think of when it comes to quality goods. If there are exceptions, I've not seen them.

6. n8b

n8b Member

I've actually used Weber transformers, as well as Heyboer, MM, and Hammond and have compared them. Weber's are just as reliable and as hard to kill as any other quality transformer. The power transformers run cool, unlike Hammonds, which get hot to the touch when run within their ratings. The output transformers are tough as nails and sound good. Not quite as good as a Heyboer, different than a MM, much better than Hammond for guitar use.

Whether a MM is worth 4x as much, whether a Heyboer is worth 2-3x as much, that is in the ear (and wallet) of the beholder. But I wouldn't pass judgement on a transformer for its nationality.:D

On the other hand, I've had a horrible experience with Marshall OT's reliability. Where are they made?

7. conundrum

conundrum Member

+1 on the Marshall's

Seems like every handwired Marshall that comes into the shop has either the PT or OT shorted out.

8. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

+1 again on the Marshall Handwired (Dagnal trannies).
    My 2061X OT blew. I'm hoping the PT will hang in there. I put in a Heyboer OT that I got from Doug Hoffman. Sounds wonderful now.

9. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Celestions? I have a GH30 that I love.

Vox AC30's? I haven't played a MIC model, but I hear they sound great.

10. iggs

iggs Member

Weber power tranny works just fine in my Lead50 B├╝mbox! :AOK

11. ES350

ES350 Member

What I appreciate about the Weber and Allen iron are the multitap options in the smaller 35 watt and the 50 watt OT's...not vintage correct, but very useful. And for the money, they sound fine...

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

The rate of developement in China is unreal. They are paying attention to what the consumer wants, and are delivering it. I think it's safe to say that we've not seen the likes of this before. While they may be struggling with quality issues for now, the rate of research and development that is going on over there will likely put an end to such issues in the very near future. Like it or not China is a huge force to be reckoned with in all industry. Better get used to the idea.

13. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

At the risk of getting political, China's legacy of human rights abuses really takes any enjoyment out of using their components in my gear. :( They are really capitalizing on the below-poverty wages they pay their people and I'm not comfortable with that. How much pride are you going to put into your work if you're being paid next to nothing?

14. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

True, but please go through your home and read who made everything from your phone, TV, stereo system, computer, clothes-even components used in things made in the U.S. (cars, ect...). :messedup Sadly, seems to be the way the wind's blowing.............

15. hasserl

hasserl Member

Yes, there are great political implications when discussing this. It's hard to avoid politics and still discuss it. And I have conflicting opinions about it too. One of those opinions is that, in a country of great poverty, at least those folks working to produce that gear have jobs and income. And as the standard of living improves the people are empowered to take more control over their own destiny. It's not all bad.

16. Junior

Fender put a new plant in China, and Chinese Strats retail there for $40. Yeh, they get sub-poverty pay, but they pay sub-poverty prices. :)

Besides, the inflation virus will get them just like it did the Japanese and the Koreans.

17. dogfood

dogfood Member

"Just remember if you are one-in-a-million in China there are three thousand people just like you." -can't remember.

Quality from China example is Eastman Guitars. Get used to it and know that their politics will evolve whether the establiment want them to or not.

18. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Well, there are 1,300,000,000 people in China so you'd be one in 1,300 if you were one in a million. :)