Weber version of Greenback

sws1

I think I've finally decided on a "greenback" speaker for my 4x12 cab. Has anyone compared the Weber version of a greenback with the Celestion Greenback RI?

(And before anyone suggest the G12H30, I've already ruled that one out for this cab.)

hipfan

Not sure which Weber is considered an "equivalent". I've heard of people ordering the ceramic Blue Dog (C12B) with a smaller 30 oz. magnet to approximate the Greenback sound, but I haven't heard one myself. I've owned the regular 40 oz. version of the ceramic Blue Dog though, and it's a nice speaker.

sws1

I think I heard it was the Thames Ditton speaker which was a greenback equivalent.

tWreCK

Actually if it's a G12H 30W you're looking for than Weber's ceramic 1230 is the one. Especially if you go with the cloth surround (55hz - bass cone) model. The quality is impeccable (Celestion's china made reissues are no match for these) and they sound great. Once they're broken in they aquire that smoothness/sweetness that the originals are famous for. 4 of these in a 4x12 and you're ready to rock!!!

Kenster

Why not get a real Greenback. Great if you can find a vintage one
but I just picked up a new one to match with a G12 H30 and as
far as I'm concerned it sounds great.

I was also concerned about this made in China issue with Celestions but after talking to Dave from Avatar and Randall
Aiken who has recommended this speaker for his amps they honestly couldnt tell any difference and I agree with them. Now the G12H30 I guess is a different story although I have never
heard a M.I.C. one.

BTW Kudos to Avatar for a real professional experience in dealing
with him and his company. Not bad coming from the land of
potatoes, or is that potatos :D

tmac

Goldmember
Silver Supporting Member
If you don't like "cone cry" I'd stick wit the Celestion GBs. I've never had a cone cry issue with these while I've problems with every Weber I've had.

WrapAround

Originally posted by tmac
If you don't like "cone cry" I'd stick wit the Celestion GBs. I've never had a cone cry issue with these while I've problems with every Weber I've had.
Doping should minimize (if not eliminate) cone cry.

KLB

Weber's doped C1265 is in the Greenback camp. Ask for the smaller Greenback-style dust cap instead of the large see-through type used on the G12-65.

I have one in my Deluxe Reverb. As it breaks in it gets smoother and louder, and is similar in tone to the Greenback with a bit less top end.

Trending Topics