Weber version of Greenback

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by sws1, Aug 21, 2003.

1. sws1

sws1 Member

I think I've finally decided on a "greenback" speaker for my 4x12 cab. Has anyone compared the Weber version of a greenback with the Celestion Greenback RI?

(And before anyone suggest the G12H30, I've already ruled that one out for this cab.)

2. sws1

sws1 Member

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Not sure which Weber is considered an "equivalent". I've heard of people ordering the ceramic Blue Dog (C12B) with a smaller 30 oz. magnet to approximate the Greenback sound, but I haven't heard one myself. I've owned the regular 40 oz. version of the ceramic Blue Dog though, and it's a nice speaker.

4. sws1

sws1 Member

I think I heard it was the Thames Ditton speaker which was a greenback equivalent.

5. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

Actually if it's a G12H 30W you're looking for than Weber's ceramic 1230 is the one. Especially if you go with the cloth surround (55hz - bass cone) model. The quality is impeccable (Celestion's china made reissues are no match for these) and they sound great. Once they're broken in they aquire that smoothness/sweetness that the originals are famous for. 4 of these in a 4x12 and you're ready to rock!!!

6. Kenster

Kenster Member

Why not get a real Greenback. Great if you can find a vintage one
    but I just picked up a new one to match with a G12 H30 and as
    far as I'm concerned it sounds great.

I was also concerned about this made in China issue with Celestions but after talking to Dave from Avatar and Randall
    Aiken who has recommended this speaker for his amps they honestly couldnt tell any difference and I agree with them. Now the G12H30 I guess is a different story although I have never
    heard a M.I.C. one.

BTW Kudos to Avatar for a real professional experience in dealing
    with him and his company. Not bad coming from the land of
    potatoes, or is that potatos :D

7. WrapAround

WrapAround Member

I believe Ted's Silver Bell would be the GB equivalent.

8. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

If you don't like "cone cry" I'd stick wit the Celestion GBs. I've never had a cone cry issue with these while I've problems with every Weber I've had.

9. WrapAround

WrapAround Member

Doping should minimize (if not eliminate) cone cry.

10. KLB

KLB Member

Weber's doped C1265 is in the Greenback camp. Ask for the smaller Greenback-style dust cap instead of the large see-through type used on the G12-65.

I have one in my Deluxe Reverb. As it breaks in it gets smoother and louder, and is similar in tone to the Greenback with a bit less top end.