Weber Z-Matcher

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mikoo69, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

I am wondering if this device can somehow allow me to run an extension cabinet for my deluxe reverb.

i know the DR wants 8ohms which is what the internal speaker is.

i also have a 2x12 that is rated at 4ohms id like to use as an extension cab.

can the Z-Matcher help with this?

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

That's what it's designed to do. Just set the amp knob to 8 ohms and the speaker to 4 and you should be set.

3. mikoo69

however i will still be running the internal speaker so im not sure how that affects it

4. shaun

shaun Member

set amp knob at 8 ohms and the speaker knob to 5.3 ohms

5. mikoo69

so i would have a speaker cable coming out of the "EXT SPEAKER" Jack into the Weber unit at 8ohms then out 5.3 into the 2x12 speaker cab.

this will let me run all 3 speakers and give me some more spread on stage, possibly some more volume?

6. mikoo69

7. shaun

shaun Member

hook your deluxe speaker and the 2 12 cab to the speaker jacks of the Z matcher. Hook the amp to the 8 ohm speaker jack on the deluxe. I think you'll like the results. I like to spread the speakers, a few ft. apart. Good luck!

8. shaun

shaun Member

ps. Please post your results, w/ speaker types. Thanks!

9. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I am always in the minority in these threads....

I had one. Lasted about 1/2 hour just to make sure I was not hearing things whacky..

I may as well have been running through 50' of instrument cables and about 15 stompboxes with no buffering.

Totally flattened my tone. No more bounce and shimmer. I tried multiple amps and the result was always the same...

10. shaun

shaun Member

I've used the zmatcher with several amps, heads and combos, and quite a few speakers. Any loss of tone was minimal, in every case. Of course, YMMV.

11. hayman2020

hayman2020 Member

Hi guys. I've got a Z-matcher waiting for me under the Christmas tree and I am pretty excited about trying it out. I'm a little confused about one point, though. I don't want to sound like an idiot or jerk, but I've got an honest question: How do people compare use of the Z-matcher to "non-use of Z-matcher" when they talk about it not affecting tone? Isn't the point of the Z-matcher that it allows you to use gear combinations that you wouldn't otherwise be able to? Does one use different ohm speakers in the same cabinet and the same OT tap? I really honestly want to know how the comparison is done. Thanks in advance.

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

13. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

[​IMG]

14. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

15. Champ

Champ Senior Member

I think it's the best. Don't have to pass up a great deal on a 16 ohm speaker because all my amps are 8 ohm. Tone loss???? Thank you Weber. Great piece at a great price.

16. hithere

hithere Member

I am really saddened to hear this as I was excited to be able to use my princeton reverb with some marshall/orange cabs.

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I had a creepy suspicion that it might just be a series of resistors cleverly and conveniently switched...but I am just a creepy suspicious kinda guy ;)

18. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

So you take one opinion as gospel??? So the guy had a bad experience with his particular setup. You sound like you just wrote it off.

19. hithere

hithere Member

yeah you are right, I just am so tight on money even 100 is a lot for something that might not work out

20. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I see other problems with setting up a rig like this too, espec if using the internal speaker as well as an extension cab. I'm curious whether the Princeton has enough power to drive three speakers simultaneously without sounding over damped. Also the impedance per speaker & sensitivity of the speakers involved can make one speaker/ cab sound very loud and another not very much so.