• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

website explaining new tech

kin

for a luddite,
Can someone please point me in the direction of a website/book that explains in fairly straightforward fashion the various modelling techs?

I started playing again after a long layoff and have a Mustang v1 and think it sounds great for a cheap practice amp, also used the usb into audacity, yep I'm that advanced. :)

I've been listening in amazement though to demos for the Axe fx /Kemper/11r etc.

Then I hear about plug ins, impulse responses, load boxes and as much as forums like this are very helpful, I think I need to go back to basics before my enthusiasm leads to expensive mistakes, though perhaps a Kemper would sound good straight into my mustang, not sure where to plug in the impulse response though....

Thanks,
kin

jerryratpack

Beano can’t cure this sort of GAS
Double Platinum Member
for a luddite,
Can someone please point me in the direction of a website/book that explains in fairly straightforward fashion the various modelling techs?

I started playing again after a long layoff and have a Mustang v1 and think it sounds great for a cheap practice amp, also used the usb into audacity, yep I'm that advanced. :)

I've been listening in amazement though to demos for the Axe fx /Kemper/11r etc.

Then I hear about plug ins, impulse responses, load boxes and as much as forums like this are very helpful, I think I need to go back to basics before my enthusiasm leads to expensive mistakes, though perhaps a Kemper would sound good straight into my mustang, not sure where to plug in the impulse response though....

Thanks,
kin
I wrote a whole lot and my iPad froze which is very rare, and I lost it all

So let me just say, in my opinion, if you get a modeller, you really want to use it with powered speakers unles you want to use a power amp and cab... But it sounds like this is for home ?

You can plug any modeller into a good pair of powered monitors and it will sound better than going into the mustang 1 in my opinion.

I assume you mean the mustang 1 v1 ?

If you have the mustang three and use the return , that might be different. .. It might sond great. I have a Gdec and sometimes mess around thru the blackface Chanel with my modeler.. But in the end, it's better for me thru the powered monitors.

You can plug into the front of an amp, but really need a super clean channel , but you will get so much more out of a good pair of powered monitors.

Software sims are really good too , and you can go right out to your monitors as well. And have access to your third party IRs, But you should get a descent interface ...

The hardware modellers that accept third party IRs like Kemper, axe fx 2 , 11R , digitech 1101 with the unofficial upgrade are out there And sound very good. I owned both an axe fx 2 and a Kemper and they are top notch. That being said, you can still get some excellent sound from the other modellers as well...

The modelers that don't have an IR loader , you can get around that by going thru an audio interface and usingit your daw ( I don't think audacity loads 3rd party IRs, )but there are programs like "reaper" that do and have free trial periods .

You may find you don't even need third party IR's. But they do open up the sound in many cases.

Or, you can buy the two notes or EPSI product .. And you can either plug into your loop , or the output of the modeler goes into the epsi input , but I don't own one, so someone else can direct you there...

That's my input, I am not sure if there is one site that really gives you everything, but if you want to read opinions on some modelers, and IR's
Will Chen ( he is on These boards ) has some great tests and input on various subjects on his website.
Hope it helps

kin

Thanks for the quick reply Jerry.

Yes this would be strictly for home use, by software sims , do you mean the likes of Bias / Scuffham ?

If so, the chain would be guitar-audio interface -computer and out from the computer to the powered speakers?

Thanks also for the tip on the Will Chen website.

jerryratpack

Beano can’t cure this sort of GAS
Double Platinum Member
Thanks for the quick reply Jerry.

Yes this would be strictly for home use, by software sims , do you mean the likes of Bias / Scuffham ?

If so, the chain would be guitar-audio interface -computer and out from the computer to the powered speakers?

Thanks also for the tip on the Will Chen website.
Your welcome Kin... It wasn't that long ago I was in the same boat as you.

And yes, the software sims are bias, s- gear, TH2 , Revalver 4 , amplitube 3, guitar rig 5 , TSE and a bunch of others free and pay .

For the chain, not out from the computer to speakers, but out from the audio interface to the powered speakers.
The audio interface has the usb plugged into the computer . See diagram below.

There are two types of software sims, stand alone and types you have to use in a daw (plug-ins), and many come with both types in one download, so you can use either way. Again, a little bit of a learning curve.

If you can download some of the free trial software to play with. It might be a learning curve to get the software set up, as well as the daw , but eventually you will get it...

Of course it's a heck of a lot easier with hardware modelers from the sense of turning on and getting sound..

And the added benefit to some of the floor modelers is that some have full foot switches to turn on and off stomps and effects, just like a pedal board, and change patches, and banks of patches, tuner, tap tempo, volume pedal / Wah pedal , etc...

So you need to think about what you prefer.
What is your spend limit for a modeler.
The workflow so to speak
Also what type of music you play can help narrow down some things
Your budget for your powered monitors and / or headphones.

Last edited:

kin

Thanks for clarifying that Jerry and the diagrams are also very helpful.
I think I may give Reaper and some of the free plug ins a go first to see how that suits, as you suggest.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom