Website transfer help needed for a noob

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by zestystrat, Apr 17, 2015.

1. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

First, I’m a noob on this stuff, in a little over my head, so please go easy on me.

I’m going use names here mainly because I’ve had good service and I like the companies I’ve worked with so far.

So my band’s website (link below) is a home brewed affair done via iWeb, which is no longer supported and creates very slow loading websites, no mobile version etc. We are very aware of this.

We are using readyhosting for hosting and domain parking (DNS service?) I get a certain amount of email addresses, ones that I’ve had and used for years. I want to keep them.

So in looking to get a refreshed website, I looked at a number of options (wordpress being the low hanging fruit) but really liked Square space. It’s easy to use and set up. So I started playing around with SS and put together a nice start of a website – very usable for the time being.

Now, I was about to make the switch but there are a few limitations to SS:

No DNS service for an already established domain.
    No included emails for the domain (you can use google but it’s $5/m for each email addy)

So say I still want to go to SS, I need to get a company to host the domain DNS service and either pay for the google service or see if one of the DNS services can host emails as well?

I’ve looked a little at free dns services but that doesn’t (I think) solve my email issue.

Is there a service that anyone recommends for any of this stuff ? Are there any other watch outs when making the transfer?

I do really like SS but this other stuff is really a buzzkill.

domain.com looks promising:

DNS Management - Free
    Domain.com Web-Based DNS Management allows you to use nameservers located at Domain.com for your domain. Using just your Internet browser, you have total control over the DNS records for your domain, without the hassle or cost of maintaining your own DNS server.

Email Forwarding - Free
    With Domain.com's email forwarding service, you can create email addresses for your domains and forward them to any other valid email address. Forward up to 250 email addresses for your domain.

Then I pay for the yearly fee for the domain registration.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. phretbored

phretbored Member

3. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Thx for responding.

Really weird that it's pulling square space out of posts. It did the same for me, I had to split the words.

I should say that readyhosting won't do a DNS only service. I asked them and no dice.

4. phretbored

phretbored Member

I'm sure there is a really good solution that somebody here will discuss.

Whether or not that means Square Space is the best choice I don't know...depends on what the TGP think tank offers.

5. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

If domain.com allows me to fwd (to a gmail account) AND send emails as the domain which I can do now, I think that might be a good option.

Edit: Domain won't do that....google apps for that.

Also asked a mod to move this thread.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  6. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Ask a mod to move this to The Pub.

7. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

I would make the jump and get a regular shared host like godaddy or Host gator, and dive in the deep end and make a WordPress site. In the end you would be happier and have a better site, host and service. the godaddy deluxe plan would get it all done and then some. godaddy has excellent domain hosting and service and I would consider transferring your domains to someone like godaddy. you're only going to run into a bunch of brick walls along the way unless you make the jump.

8. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Thx for the reply.

I agree with you on principle, I'm not sure I have the time to learn and produce a quality website via WP. It was damn easy (tho time consuming) to put together the SS site.

9. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

if you want to make it easy with WordPress. look into buying a theme like Salient or Divi. they are drag and drop and you can build a beautiful mobile ready responsive site without touching a line of code. there are a bunch of videos on YouTube for Salient. you might be shocked at how easy it is. you could have a site set up and running in a couple of days.

10. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

From what I've learned Wordpress is best for SEO. There are tons of themes and plugins available.
    I have a custom built site but it is not maximized for SEO so I am going to convert it to Wordpress. I use Godaddy for hosting,group calendar and email. I used their website builder before and it was not bad for a basic template type site. Their price for hosting and email is not bad and their service has been great,always get a human when I call. They handled moving my domain from another company who was not very cooperative and it worked flawless. It was quite nerve wracking because it was for our corporate email and website but the transfer was seamless thanks to them.

11. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

As much as I liked the SS site, with time I can rebuild it.

Anyone have a favorite theme?

12. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Media Temple is the best hosting service I've found. They're reliable, have state of the art servers and secure. If you have a problem, you can get a human on the phone 24/7 that not only speaks English and is located in Los Angeles, but that knows what the heck they are doing.

Disclaimer: A close friend of mine has worked for them for the last 7 or 8 years and says it's a great company to work for.

http://mediatemple.net

13. lhallam

lhallam Member

DNS should always be free and automatically parked as soon as you buy your domain. If some registrar is charging for that then I would have big doubts as to the maturity of their systems. Which questions how good their support is.

Free email has been going on for years which typically comes with hosting packages. Don't ever pay for email boxes. I can see where certain businesses require lots of boxes but a band only needs a few if even that many. Years ago GoDaddy provided unlimited mailboxes when buying a hosting package. Email forwarding should never cost you extra.

S/W for creating your own websites is free with mature companies that have hosting. You don't need to go out and buy website builder tools.

Some hosting companies will build your website for you at a price. Using this option all depends upon your requirements. If you have a pro do it, there are tricks they can do to cause it to come up on the first or second page of searches. If you know how SEO and keywords work then you can do it yourself but it can be confusing. This is good for certain businesses, a band probably doesn't need this, just providing info.

Website forwarding should also be free.

You typically get what you pay for so you will either pay more for your hosting (some give free or cheap domains bundled with hosting) and get a bunch of free services or you buy cheap and pay extra for these services.

Something to watch out for, these days many companies put you on autorenew whether you ask for it or not. So if you aren't paying attention your subscription will get renewed and you will get charged. Personally these kinds of tricks piss me off big time.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  14. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

Yes. Salient. $58 and can be anything you want it to be.
    I've been using it since it came out and love it. Divi is also amazing but not quite as easy as Salient. they are both fully responsive and SEO friendly out of the box. You won't find and easier WordPress theme than Salient.
    http://themeforest.net/item/salient-responsive-multipurpose-theme/4363266

15. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

I was looking at both when you mentioned it in an earlier post...of the two I like salient better as well.

I saw one called jam session that I liked as well.

NeoP: do you mind posting or pm-ing me your site so i can check it out?