Wechter Guitars??

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by thefunkyone, Jan 12, 2008.

1. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Member

I was quite a ways south of where I live on I-94 not too far from the Michigan/Indiana border and saw a big billboard with a guitar neck jutting out of it. The sign said "Wechter Guitars, Factory Outlet". It was at the next exit. I was not able to stop but it piqued my interest enough. I found their website and was wondering if you guys have any experience with them. Are they any good? I have never heard of them before.

http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/index.htm

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

the store I worked for a number of years ago was a dealer for the import and ~$2000 range models. just couldn't warm up to them in terms of acoustic sound. mostly mids and "modern" sounding trebles. I would say it was best for an electric player who needed an acoustic/electric on occasion, but not for someone going for nuanced acoustic tone, be it modern (Taylor, Goodall, etc..) or vintage-like (Martin, Santa Cruz, Huss and Dalton, etc..). Given some of these examples where a couple grand more than the models we sold, but I think the overall voicing would be the same.

the neck felt similar to a PRS style contour, more V to it, but roughly the same thickness.

not to knock Abe Wechter though, who has designed and hand built some very forward thinking instruments. The production line, however, did little for me (or the store and its customers, we ended up blowing them at near cost if I remember correctly).

Still, worth checking out if you need a gigging acoustic electric, you could get a real steal on one.

joe

3. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

In the interests of disclosure, I know Abe and consider him a friend. I also own one of his guitars. I first became aware of him through the "Shakti" guitar he built for John McLaughlin, and later, the acoustic bass he did for Jonas Helborg. His designs are quite innovative - the "U" joint on his double cutaway acoustics came out of 20+ years of guitar repair, and realizing there was a better way to prevent neck twist, for example. They do tend to have a modern sound and feel.

His import guitars are a great value, and his I really haven't played any resonators (co-designed with resonator ace Tim Sheerhorn) close to that price range that can compete. He has some new instruments he'll be showing at NAMM as well. Not sure how much info I'm allowed to spill at this point, but he's got some electric models with the Graph Tech Ghost system coming that I think will be pretty revolutionary in terms of value for price.

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

A friend of mine who works on my guitars, used to work for Abe.
    World class luthier...just ask John McLaughlin.

S.
    j

5. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Member

Thanks for the info guys! I am an electric player looking for an acoustic/electric so these might be what I go for. I really like the looks of this import model. The Grand Auditorium Cutaway...

[​IMG]

I think i'll have to make a trip back down there again and play some.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I LOVE my made in USA Wechter Pathmaker. I've had it for years (the 337th one). It's GREAT for fingerstyle, it's amazing for capoing up really high (like you can't do with a "regular" acoustic).

Wonderful sound, great playability, great plugged-in tone... It's a wonderful guitar

[​IMG]

7. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Member

That is a beauty. His double cut models almost have an SG vibe, but on an acoustic. lol

8. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

I own Pathmaker #708 (custom made, blueburst #1) and it is the most amazing acoustic i have ever palyed!!!!

Abe's Paw Paw made guitars are second to none! the action is incredible, the tone crisp! He is starting to do solid body electrics now too!!! I went in to say hi the other day got a sneak peek at the first dozen made...very cool stuff!!!!

I have an unfair advantage though, i live 1/2 mile away from Abe's shop...i met him back in 1996 when i moved to Paw Paw, he is a great guitar builder, and a good hearted person as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. brentrocks

you have a really nice early Pathmaker there...really nice!!!!:D

10. brentrocks

Thanks man! They are great guitars, especially at a used price! It is amazing to me the prices you can find for used ones compared to the new price. post some pics of your Pathmaker!!!

11. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

[​IMG]

I gotta say I love the shape of this peghead.

12. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I had a USA-made Silk and Steel for a while. I liked the guitar, but I couldn'r really get used to the lower volume and floppy feel of the S&S concept. I'd love to try his regular steel string acoustics.

13. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Here is mine. Its a very nice guitar. Rosewood back and sides with a cedar top. Im thinking of selling mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

I've also got a USA Pathmaker and it is a superb guitar.

15. thefunkyone

thefunkyone Member