• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Wedding Gigs, Dad requesting "I Loved Her First" - Douchey Title of Ownership to Groom ?

Is Dad making his one last claim of ownership with this song request kind of douchey ?

• yes

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • no

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • 5th Amendment

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • not sure

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

Baminated

Your the one desperately concerned about the snowflake groom and some inane need for dad to show "confidence" in him and you want to get snarky with me?
Doood, not at any point did i endorse using the snark, its just an ok tuner. I Can detect a very serious tone in your post

Stike

Gotta be careful with that stuff. Back in the day one of our favorite past-times was to see who could come up with the vilest, most vulgar lyrics to the saccharine garbage we had to play.
Those lyrics tend to sneak out of the band room at the worst possible moments, if you get my drift.:eek::eek::eek::oops:
:rollTell us more, I love stuff like that. X rated Weird Al.

Opposite of that, I was working on comically G rated alternate lyrics for Buck Cherry's "Crazy Bitch" so the cover band I was in could play it in front of any audience. All I came up with was "Goose, you're a silly goose. I'm really thirsty and I want some juice."

Hawking

I have a daughter and this song is very strange. Why go out of your way to compare your parental love to the groom's romantic/sexual love?

They are both important and also very different. At least they're supposed to be. Seems like we have a lot of confused dads here...

Last edited:

RupertB

Silver Supporting Member
:rollTell us more, I love stuff like that. X rated Weird Al.

Opposite of that, I was working on comically G rated alternate lyrics for Buck Cherry's "Crazy Bitch" so the cover band I was in could play it in front of any audience. All I came up with was "Goose, you're a silly goose. I'm really thirsty and I want some juice."
That was 27 years ago... Only one that comes to mind is the one we did for Groovy Kind of Love, which we got as a wedding reception request.

As I recall the general theme was about things that are blue and "then they're not so blue" and how we got from point A to point B, with various adjectives substituted for "groovy." :anon

TheGuildedAge

It's creepy the possessive, borderline sexual relationship some Dads have with their daughters.

My Dad wasn't like that with my sister and my wife's Dad wasn't like that with me.

They are grown women who don't need "Pa" to give them permission to grow up.

It's the same reason I didn't ask "permission" when we got married.

It's not 1600 anymore.

Hawking

It's creepy the possessive, borderline sexual relationship some Dads have with their daughters.

My Dad wasn't like that with my sister and my wife's Dad wasn't like that with me.
Yeah you can love and devote yourself to your daughter without the creepy jealous thoughts a lot of these dads have. TGP seems to be in to it though.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I would keep quiet and collect my check at the end of the night.
Unless you are posing the question as if you were the groom?

Even the song - Is the singer so insecure about himself that he has to spell it out like that, and go through the trouble of writing a song about it, spending money on top NAshville session cats, and studios, etc . . .?

The song choice just doesn't really seem to beam with confidence in the groom at all

major-minor

I am, what's your point? This song is about fatherly love competing with romantic/sexual love. It's beyond weird.
I'm just not getting the whole sexual angle to this conversation. I suppose that's my point.

Daughter gets married and moves onto the next phase of her life. Parents get sentimental about that.

Cheesey song? Absolutely, but seems innocent enough to me.

Hawking

I'm just not getting the whole sexual angle to this conversation. I suppose that's my point.
I definitely get the sentimental next-phase-of-life part. But you wouldn't sing "I loved him first" about your son... because it'd be a real weird thing to say, just like this.

And I'm very traditional with both daughter and sons, maybe I just don't get county music.

Baminated

I have a daughter and this song is very strange. Why go out of your way to compare your parental love to the groom's romantic/sexual love?

They are both important and also very different. At least they're supposed to be. Seems like we have a lot of confused dads here...
This is actually the heart of it that I didn't even realize until some very astute fathers as yourself and others brought this up.
So it's actually even worse then what was presented in my OP.

There is now a very creepy "pedo dad" overtone that has been deduced from some astute peeps here.
Wow now I even hate the song even more!

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
Geez people will twist anything.

I’d say the people who are complaining about pedo undertones and such have more issues than parents getting sentimental about a child leaving the nest.

I think sentimentality can manifest in odd ways, but that doesn’t make the person a weirdo for gettin an attachment to a song that may have a different meaning.

Also, are we sure the Dad picked the song? Seems more like something the bride would be in charge of.

standard24

Yeah, I'm about as unsentimental a guy that you're gonna meet, but I had to learn that song for a wedding gig last year, and I had to practice singing it about 40 times before I could get through it without getting a bit, uh, emotional. I have a 21 year-old daughter.

That said, the song is pure cheese.
We've played it many times. It's an excellent Daddy/daughter dance song. Great melody, touching lyrics, perfect dance tempo and great instrumentation. There's a reason why we're even discussing it. Because it works.

Baminated

. There's a reason why we're even discussing it. Because it works.
Okay this we can agree on. Definitely from a Pure commercial utility perspective it definitely works.
I guess excessive pesticides work also on the food that we eat

standard24

Okay this we can agree on. Definitely from a Pure commercial utility perspective it definitely works.
I guess excessive pesticides work also on the food that we eat
From your avatar photo, I'm suspecting you're not married.

Weddings are ALL about the bride. They agonize over the font that the names and date on the napkins are printed in!!!! We're talking about a $50,000 party to celebrate her "deflowering"! Logic has nothing to do with weddings.
As a musician, you don't have to listen to music you don't like. Just shut up and play your guitar. (And collect your paycheck from Mrs. Mia Wallace.)

Trending Topics