Wedge(monitor) speaker cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hattrick, May 26, 2008.

1. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

Has anyone tried using a custom wedge cab for their guitar rig? We all agree and know there is nothing better then a great cabinet projecting your tone to the audience however is there a better solution then micing your cab and and depending on house monitors to here yourself play? Some clubs have good systems but most have lame or no systems. I was thinking of having a custom wedge made for that in your face tone. Any thoughts on this?

2. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

I never depend on house monitor systems to give me what's coming out of my amp, so I try to make sure it's aimed where I can benefit from it the most and hear it naturally in the band setting, and let the PA do the work of projecting the sound to your audience.
    I wouldn't waste a nickel on a specially-made wedge when simple amp placement can solve 99% of those problems.
    Of course, this works a lot better (and easier) with smaller combo or head/cab rigs than 100 watt stacks. But if you use one of the latter and still can't hear yourself something else is bad wrong. :eek:

3. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

Well currently I use a THD Flexi and a Ear Candy Soveriegn 1x12 cab. To get the benefits of hearing the amp clearly I have it lifted off the floor about three feet however it is too high for the audience. I guess I could try to get a combo amp and a stand. I just thought it might be cool to have a wedge coming off the amp in front as well as the cab from the back.

4. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

That's a nice rig.
    Having a personal wedge might be a cool idea, but finding a design that will do what that Ear Candy cab does for your sound might be tough.
    You'd want "as good" I would think. Anything sonically inferior will cause you to alter EQ settings on the amp, and you'd be going backwards as far as what your audience will hear. (just thinking out loud here...)

One thing to consider, a 1x12 cab is going to be laser beamy at best when depended on for a lot of audience coverage. Mine was terrible...people directly in front of it would get blasted while folks 5' off to one side or the other couldn't hear it.
    I started aiming it across the stage, and that helped a lot. Coverage through the PA was unaffected....well, actually it was better as I had less vocal mic bleed-thru....and my bandmates could hear me better.

5. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

I've tried using a wedge monitor. I bought one, disconnected the horn and filter and replaced the speaker with a guitar speaker. I also put a beam blocker in it, but having the speaker directed at me was awful. I also have a few stands that you can put combos or 212 cabs on to achieve a more direct angle. This works better but getting the amp off the ground reduces bass response. It may not always be a bad thing, but it feels different to play with. I've also tried in-ear monitoring, which in my case never worked out. Today, I use a Clearsonic amp shield. It keeps the sound from beaming at the audience. It allows me to play quite loud and be heard where I'm at, without bothering the others. I also get the sound I'm used to hearing, the way I normally hear it. It's the best solution for me so far, and also the cheapest.