Weight again - got out the scale

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mpcoluv, Jul 21, 2018.

1. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

I use a hanging digital scale made for weighing luggage and it seems to be very accurate. I prefer guitars in the <8 lb range but there are exceptions. My favorite 2 guitars (EBMM Majesty and Suhr Modern Satin) actually weigh under 7 lbs. Here's my list if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

2. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

You have an LP Standard that is non weight relieved and it weighs 7.6lb?
    Wow that’s light for an lp

3. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Actually.....yes. I have been asked quite a bit, especially with LPs

4. Pushead

Pushead Member

[​IMG]

I have a very similar spreadsheet I put together a few months ago.

DarrellM5 likes this.
  5. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

All my favourites weigh in under 7.5 lbs, and my very faves are all well under 7 lbs... I own maybe twenty electrics and not one of them weighs more than 8 lbs.... just the way it is...

6. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

That's most unfortunate... there are a lot of superb guitars being overlooked for the entirely wrong reason.

rk

CharAznable likes this.
  7. dansworld

dansworld Member

I've been using a little hand-held digital luggage scale which is good to the 1/10th of an inch. My guitars average around 7.2 lbs, my lightest 6.8 and my heaviest a staggering 9.0 lbs. That bad boy is an all korina Fano PX6 with Imperial humbuckers.

8. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I didn't know guitars were supposed to be light until I came to TGP.

I mean, of course I don't want a 12lb boat anchor that will injure my back, but between a 8lb or a 9lb guitar? Who cares?

donthasslethehoff likes this.
  9. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

None of those are what I consider “heavy” guitars by any means. To me “heavy” begins above 9 lb.

10. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Probably so, but if someone asks I'll tell them, it's up to them then....

11. Mpcoluv

Isn’t it really just another preference like radius or fret size?
    I can see how it would drive a builder crazy though.
    You’ve never sold a guitar over weight? Me, I dumped a fantastic white Norlin era les Paul custom like Randy Rhodes had because it was like 13 lbs or something. Sounded and played great too....traded it for a 335 dot with Tim Shaw humbuckers....

12. Mpcoluv

Yeah, I would say they are medium weight

13. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

I first noticed the weight "issue" long before the internet. It was the late 1970s. A friend traded an SG on a hardtail Strat (natural ash, bullet truss rod, 3-bolt). That guitar was HEAVY. We didn't put it on a scale, but I was glad it was him and not me.

A year or two later, used Strats were impossible to find (thanks to MK and "Sultans of Swing"), so I bought a new Lead II. The body was a fair bit smaller than a Strat, but it felt like a slab of concrete. I was just 20 years old, but I sure noticed the weight. It didn't stop me from buying the guitar, because I needed a backup. But my own 3-bolt Strat was much easier on the shoulder.

14. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

I believe the 2012 Les Paul Standards are weight relieved.

15. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Just FYI - I got this scale from Amazon for $25. It runs on AAA batteries or AC adapter, and is claimed to be accurate to one tenth of an ounce. Max weight is 110 lbs.

[​IMG]

16. Pauly B

Pauly B Member

My American Standard Tele is right at 7 lbs. My LP Trad is just over 10 lbs. huge difference in weight and feel. And the LP is weight relieved! Good thing it sustains for days.

17. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Sure is... however the predicate for the request is pushing the "choice" further and further from simply being a preference... interview someone requesting a lighter weight body and sooner or later, their cognitive bias creeps in... Lightweight = resonance = superior tone... and that calculus falls flat on its face in a critical analysis..

That "formula" actually has a far higher chance of yielding a "meh" tone than the superior one guys are expecting. It has nothing to do with anything other than simple science.

and as more and more ill advised choices are made, the problem of supplying quality sounding guitars that also meet that criteria become more and more difficult.... More and More Difficult = Chur-Chung $$$$$ sorry, but those that dozed through the Economics classes they haven't taught in 50 years probably neglected to record the old adage, supply and demand dictate cost...

Right now, light weight is far more of a "fashion statement" as a presumptive to better tone... than an actual route to that better tone...

But, yeah, it's a choice, so if ya wannit, wannit, but want it based in an informed decision.. then go for it...

Of course not.. the only way that could happen is if someone asked for one weight and I delivered one much heavier... a 14 pound guitar is not over weight if the guy ordering it asks and I say, it's 14 pounds.. and he says OK...

I actually did a pair, a matching Strat and Tele from Mesquite a number of years ago.. heaviest stuff I ever encountered.. but it's what he wanted.. he loved 'em.. thus not overweight...

the reality is this. . . far more of ya could care less about tone as long as all the "hot" features are checked on the spec sheet... that's making the calL based on Fashion..

Right now, pretty much number one on that list of of must have specs is light weight....

RK

18. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

For me lighter is better. My Vietnamese-made Peavey strat (not Chinese, they're heavier) weighs about 6 1/4lb. It is spec'ed as basswood, but I think it is Paulownia. I don't want to get into a tone wood debate, but I think that, while it is relatively loud acoustically, it is a bit lacking in sustain when amplified compared to other solidbodies I have. If I was building a nice bitsa I would use a Warmoth chambered body in basic alder or swamp ash, with a mahogany neck.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  19. Mpcoluv

Ron,
    What I meant to ask is have you ever owned a personal guitar that you thought was too heavy?

20. zul

zul Supporting Member

Isn't the weight distribution different lying on it's back,
    balancing on a center area, with overhang beyond the scale,
    as opposed to hanging down on itself like on a fish scale?