Weir Guitars

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Dave Weir, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Love the new Instigator shape - looking forward to receive mine!

2. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Some really interesting ideas here and beautifully realised.

3. Dave Weir

Dave Weir Gold Supporting Member

4. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Yes, I like that Instigator a lot.
    I will message you about one.

5. Dave Weir

Here's a couple of the latest to start the new year:
    #97 is Super Locrian's Sunglow Instigator. Solid Walnut body and right on target at 7.25 pounds. One Piece Ipe neck and PF2 pickup.
    [​IMG]

Also just wrapping up #98, also Walnut but the 12.25" Poorboy body. Beautiful Goncalo Alves neck. It had a little more paint than the customer envisioned, so I'm taking a little more off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dave Weir

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  7. Dave Weir

Poorboy #100 that went out a couple weeks ago. A big Milestone! Poplar body with General Finishes Persian Blue Barnburst Milk Paint. Roasted Maple Neck. Stainless Steel Frets with Corian Bridge. I think the Corian bridge takes the edge off the SS frets. Beautiful sound. Highly recommended if you want the durability of Stainless but don't care for the little Zing in the attack. PF2 Pickup, just under 7 pounds.

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  8. Dave Weir

This is one of my personal guitars. Instigator #92. Body is Meranti (Philippine Mahogany) Painted with Buttermilk and then Dark Chocolate Milk Paint and then scraped with razor blades. Neck is Ipe, and this one doesn't have a truss rod.
    Here's the sound check. This is pluged into a Quilter 101 amp and then the FX send to my lap top with Audacity.

9. Dave Weir

Poorboy #101
    Walnut Body, Canarywood Neck, PF2 Pickup. About 7.75 pounds. Stainless Steel Frets. I've been wanting to make this combination for a while now. I just realized maybe the reason no one requested it is because I never listed Canary as an option. Anyway very nice to work with and silky smooth texture. Harder than Maple but about the same weight. Similar tone. Seems very stable. I like it a lot.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. Dave Weir

This is Instigator#103. I'm going to try to post this build more or less "Live". In other words, post the pictures right after each step is complete.
    We'll see how it goes.

Starting out with an African Mahogany blank, about 18" x 13" x 2". I'm going to leave it pretty thick to get the weight I want.
    The neck is a Roasted Maple 2x4, about 30" long.

The neck blank is almost perfectly quarter sawn, very straight grain, and nice rays.

11. Dave Weir

lexreverb and rhinocaster like this.
  12. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

You have my attention!

13. Dave Weir

I had to take a break and sell a bike.

The neck actually had already been planed down to 1.25" in several steps over the last few months.
    Now it goes on the lathe to drill for the truss rod. I probably should have cleaned up the mess, but this was kind of a spontaneous idea. The weight of the brake disks helps reduce vibration.

I have a special drill bit to get it started. This cuts a short .357" hole, and also cuts a cone which is used later.

I start out turning it by hand. It's really critical to get it off to a good start.

The drill is exchanged for a specially modified hollow live center.
    This is the business end of the .357 gun drill. It's about 3.5' long. The funny shape makes it go very straight. There is a hole in the end where normally you would pump oil to cool it and blow out metal chips.
    Here is the handle. I put an air fitting on it to hook it up to a compressor. The air extracts the chips. Other wise you would have to remove the drill every inch or so. With this rig, it takes less than a minute to drill the 20" deep hole.

Here's how it comes off the lathe. The cone gets cut off later.

The heel end is enlarged to 1/2" about 3" deep to house the adjuster end of the truss rod.

14. Dave Weir

After the lathe operations I plane it down to 1 1/8". I use a magnet on a stick to find the end of the hole and where the hole is in relation to the two sides. Then I plane it so the hole is a little bit off set toward the top of the blank. When the neck is shaped, the hole is about in the center.
    I use a piece of slate from a pool table to check for flatness. If it warps a little, I have enough thickness to fix it. The Roasted Maple is very stable.
    I shouldn't have any problems...
    I think that's it for today.

15. Dave Weir

Pretty Standard Low tech body shaping. Trace the template. The template was made with the Excel curved line tool.
    There are two holes that everything is keyed off of. I think for most of these steps it takes longer to post the picture than to do the work.
    I'm channeling Dave Alvin and Jim Heath. We'll see if anything gets baked in.

16. Dave Weir

17. Dave Weir

I use a regular router template and then a slightly smaller spacer on the other side. The bit has bearings on both ends. This allows me to cut the whole thing in two passes. I can flip it over without adjusting the bit, and I'm always cutting down hill.

It only takes about 1 minute.

Quick cleanup with the orbital sander, and mark for the jack.

18. Dave Weir

19. Dave Weir

I had company all last week so didn't really get in the shop. Now I'll try to get this moving forward again.
    Neck is still dead straight, and a little over sized. This Roasted Maple is pretty Awesome.
    I use a magnet on a stick inside the neck and another magnet outside to find exactly where the truss rod hole is. I can also tell if it's closer to the top or back.
    I want it a little closer to the top.

I drill a small hole right at the head stock end of the hole. Now everything is keyed on this hole.

I write stuff on my templates. Many say "not trash" on them. I probably don't need to explain why.

Rough cut on the band saw.

j.s.tonehound and lexreverb like this.