Weir Guitars

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Dave Weir, Jul 16, 2017.

1. WordMan

WordMan Member

How come you positioned the pickup differently? How does that affect the tone?

Love your work.

2. Dave Weir

Dave Weir Gold Supporting Member

The pickup position was the customer's request. I always prefer the neck position. It seems fuller or richer to me. I always want them to sound as good as possible so it's kind of a conflict when my personal preferences don't line up with the customers. I probably turn away more orders than I take because they want something I don't want to or can't do.
    But he was a repeat customer and very good player and knew what he wanted so I gave in.
    There is a lot more string movement at the neck so louder and also seemingly more harmonics. For perspective, I generally play guitar watching TV at low volumes and pretty clean. So I'm not worried about standing out in a mix or distorted chords with dissonant beats. I know it's not for everybody, but I'm pretty happy working my little niche.
    Thank you for your comments and interest in Weir Guitars!

3. WordMan

WordMan Member

It seems like you are putting the pickup where an acoustic's soundhole goes. And since you don't have V and T controls and are putting Responsiveness First as your philosophy, it sounds like you are building an electric that should be approached as an acoustic technique-wise. Hmm.

I will be on the other side of some big things in about a year; this is giving me ideas. If, in a year from now, I can actually think about this, cool.

- Do you ever allow someone to stop by your workshop to try out a guitar if they can get themselves to Escondido?
    - If someone wanted a deeper neck profile - e.g., 1" at the nut - do you support that?
    - Oh, and I see on your bass, it has split-shaft tuners which are so easy to work with. Do you have a guitar set that has a similar split shaft you point customers to?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM
  4. Dave Weir

Dave Weir Gold Supporting Member

First, thank you for your comments. Always appreciated.

As far as trying one out, it's kind of difficult. Almost all of them are made to order. I generally make about 2 per month and they ship out as soon as they are done. So it's not very often I have any around the house. My personal guitars are left handed, strung upside down. So you could get the sound and play-ability, but they are not as comfortable as a regular right handed version. But message me when you are going to be in the area, and we will see what we can arrange.

1" at the nut seems really thick. Doing stuff like that gets into the realm of a custom shop, and that's not my path. I am trying to keep it simple, and keep the costs under control. More like a one man factory. There are a lot of other guys that will build you exactly what you want, do a great job, and charge you appropriately.

I prefer the Open Back Grover Sta Tites. They work well, are priced right, and fit well with my general style. Again, re-tooling for different tuners is custom shop stuff. Let's say it took 20 hours to make the jig that allows me to drill all of the tuner holes in less than five minutes. I can't spend 20 hours to make a tool to drill for one special set of tuners, so I have to lay it out by hand. Which may take 3 hours. So I'd have to charge $180.00 just for the labor to install the tuners. If it's a $5,000.00 guitar, you probably wouldn't think twice about this, or even realize that's how it breaks down. But on a $700.00 guitar, that's a big premium.

Hopefully I've answered your questions and given you more to think about. Let me know if I can be of further assistance, and Thank You for your interest in Weir Guitars!