Weird Compressor / Delay Conflict...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SackvilleDan, Mar 11, 2015.

1. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I have a grab'n'go small board set up with the following signal path:

Maritime Analog L'il Stomper Compressor (Ross-style comp)
    Korg PitchBlack
    Paul C Timmy
    Diamond Memory Lane Jr.
    Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb Delay

All powered by a Pedaltrain Volto.

I noticed the weirdest thing the other day - when the Compressor is engaged, it limits the amount of repeats from the MLJr., even though the MLJr. is AFTER it in the signal chain! Even turning the repeats up to max on the MLJr, when the comp is on I only hear two or three. But if I bypass the compressor, the repeats are all there again!

The Volto is fully charged and those are the only two pedals on, so I don't think it's a power problem but I can't be 100% sure.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? Seems odd to me...

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

First off, power the MLJr from a separate power supply, just to see what happens. If that makes the delay behave as normal, I bet the problem is power-related. I can't really work out why it isn't constant, though - all the pedals should draw the same amount of current regardless of if they're on or off, so it shouldn't matter if the compressor is turned on/off.

The second thing to try is to insert a buffer of sorts (it can be a separate buffered/active pedal, or just the Timmy switched on) between the compressor and MLJr. If that makes the delay behave as normal, the problem is in the relationship between the compressor's output stage and the input stage of the delay. Again, I can't explain why that would affect just the repeats - an impedance mismatch is noticeable across the range, and you should hear it in the dry signal as well.

3. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Awesome, thanks Andreas! I will try both of those suggestions tonight!

4. jbxenon

jbxenon Member

I had a similar issue with the memory lane junior. My Empress Compressor interacted in a similar way with the mljr. The reason for this issue, non linear decay of reprats and less repeats when the compressor was on, was an interaction between the compander in the mljr and the high freq. noise from the voltage regulator in the compressor. If the voltage is internaly switched from 9v to higher voltages like 18v the switching noise, which is much higher than 20 kHz, interacts with the compander of the mljr. The solution is to use a low pass filter to eliminate the noise (which is actuality inaudible to humans) before the compander. I talked to the guys at Diamond pedals about that but never got a chance to mod it myself. I think Diamond should solve this issue with their delays as there are a lot more pedals that use internaly switched power supplies. No other delay I have tried caused this issue... wierd indeed

5. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I double checked over the weekend and plugged everything into a Voodoo Labs PP2+, and still had the same issue with the repeats... so it sounds like it might be related to what jbnexon is talking about... Aimish, can you chime in?

6. awallace

awallace Member

Hey Dan, do any of the other pedals you're using have a voltage doubling circuit in them?

7. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Hi Aimish, I don't think so... the only one I can think of that might would be my Micro POG, but I'm not 100% sure.

8. awallace

awallace Member

Hey Dan, maybe you could bring the Jr and compressor by some time to lend us for a couple of days? We'd love to be able to check them out and figure out what's going on.

9. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

For sure! They're on my board that I left at one of my bands' jam spots... I'll grab them on Thursday and drop them off to you on Friday!

And thanks Aimish!