Weird Delta Blues noise.....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Dr. Jimmy, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I have a Delta Blues 1x15 that I bought back in the 90's, right when they first came out. It sat for a number of years while I used my Classic 50 2x12, until recently when I wanted something a bit lighter to lug to gigs.

Swapped the speaker with a Weber model and have settled on a tube setup that works for what I need (I use the clean channel and get all my gain from pedals, switching them off to go back to clean etc...) V1 = 5963, V2 = ax7, V3 = ax7LPS and JJEL84's.

I've noticed that when I'm playing some gainy stuff and am boosting the signal (I use a DLS MKIII for the gain platform and a RAT to boost it for solos) I can hear something weird when I play higher up the fretboard, especially when bending, sounding like another faint note along with the note being played. I do recall this with the original speaker, which was part of the reason I swapped it out. I do not notice it as much if the RAT is off, though the signal isn't as loud either (I have also tried a few other boost pedals and the problem is still there).

Best way to describe the noise is that when I bend up high (say around the 15th fret on the high E) it sounds like a really faint slide whistle along with the note, kinda like a "beeeeeewhoooooop" if you can imagine it.

Any ideas? It's not like it's obscenely loud either, loud enough to cut through a 5 piece band but not deafening.......

Thanks for any insight.

2. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

FWIW the speaker is a Weber 15F150.

3. mxvin

mxvin Member

ghost notes or odd harmonics can be created by cone cry with a speaker or with a faulty tube. You need to do some tube rolling if you have some to do it with.

From Weber site:

Cone Cry, Ghost Notes, Edge Yowl
    Context: I replaced that speaker because it had too much cone cry.
    Description: As the speaker cone is vibrated by the voice coil, it can generate frequencies of its own that may be strong enough to be audible along with the intended note or signal from the musical instrument. These notes or tones may or may not be harmonically related to the intended note, and in some cases may be either higher or lower in frequency than the intended note. This usually means that the voice coil is driving the cone so hard that it is overcoming any damping and is essentially out of control. Sometimes manufacturers use huge magnets and loose spiders so they can win the 'sensitivity ratings' contest, but the result is a system that is difficult to control. Edge yowl is the term used to describe sounds that occur when the surround resonates, imparts energy back into the cone, and generates tones and notes that may or may not be harmonically related to the intended note.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Sounds like speaker "cone cry". This is pretty common in new speakers before they're broken in.

5. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Thanks guys! I was kinda learning towards that, but wanted to hear from some experts. Guess I'm just gonna have to keep playing good and loud to break it in!!!!

6. mxvin

mxvin Member

I have actually connected my stereo to my speakers and played bass heavy music for a few hours to break in my speakers. You can walk away and still get it done...:)

7. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I've researched this a little. I think first I'll loosen and re-tighten the nuts holding the speaker to the baffle, this time not doing more than a little past hand tight.

8. mxvin

mxvin Member

couldn't "hoit".......
    More on the break in....I have had speakers reconed and after break in changed dramatically for the better. Not just in reference to cone cry but overall tonality.

9. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Well, I found the culprit and am rather embarrassed about it.

Turns out it is my delay (Mooer Reecho) that I have set to provide a small slapback to fatten my sound. The delay is just long enough to cause that odd sound when bending strings. Turned it off and weird sounds went away......