Weird FedEx Issue

plaidbeer

So, I'm returning a guitar to an online dealer to exchange it for another guitar. The dealer provided a call tag for FedEx and I went to a FedEx Office retail location to drop it off. I was asked what it was I was shipping and then asked if it was in a hard case. Well, it didn't come in a hard case, it came with a padded soft case, but it was double boxed just like it was when it was shipped to me. I was told that they would not send it back without it being in a hard case because of the liability involved. Anyone else hear of this or experience this?

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
Not this, no (but I don't ship guitars often.) But somewhat tangentially, in case anyone is not familiar with this, I have had UPS refuse to accept a guitar for shipment if the strings were not loosened.

8len8

If you went to a FedEx store to ship it, the store was likely privately owned and has its own shipping rules (see other similar threads about this).

Take it to a FedEx distribution center to get around this.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
If you went to a FedEx store to ship it, the store was likely privately owned and has its own shipping rules (see other similar threads about this).

Oh, and thanks for reminding me: the non-FedEx-owned "FedEx retail stores" add roughly 50% to the shipping cost, if I correctly remember. That can be, depending on what you are sending where, meaningful money.

plaidbeer

Thanks for the heads up about the distribution center. I took it to the FedEx store as I already had shipping paid for via call tag from the retailer. Didn't think it would be a big deal and they've shipped everything I ever took in the past with no hassles.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
Gibson and Fender (among others) ship all of their guitars
to their retailers with strings to tune on them. :huh

It's a myth.... loosening strings. :nono

It might be a myth, but it makes sense to me. After all, stings tuned to pitch puts quite a bit of tension on the neck.

ummohyeah

Gibson and Fender (among others) ship all of their guitars
to their retailers with strings to tune on them. :huh

It's a myth.... loosening strings. :nono

Had a Martin D-15 show up, neck bowed and slightly separating from body. Shipped from Tennessee to Los Angeles. Guy didn't loosen his strings -- Paypal wouldn't help me.

Always loosen strings.

plaidbeer

Thanks for the tip, by the way. The distribution center was totally cool and they didn't give me any hassles at all. Very nice people, in fact.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom