Weird Feedback/Ringing issue after set up

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stevenlaumer, Apr 6, 2018.

1. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Hehe! Yeah, it's a real thing. More common than you might think, too. Supposedly, hyperacusis affects something like 10%-15% of the population, so the chances you've run across somebody who suffers from it are pretty good. I'd wager there are those who don't even know they have it, thinking what they hear is normal. I know I was quite surprised as a child to find out my eyesight was as bad as it is. I just didn't know any better.

2. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

The trem on there right now is a mustang bridge from Fender. I changed it out with the stock threaded bridge to diagnose if it was the problem, but it happens with both the mustang bridge and the threaded bridge.

3. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

It does stop when the strings are muted.

The bridge is an repro mustang bridge thats sett at 7.25 radius, so no adjustment screws for each saddle.

4. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

I'm more than willing to accept that I may be crazy in some way. But my FOH guy and several band members can also hear it and it makes this guitar unplayable.

5. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

Behind the nut has been looked at.

I am now onto my 3rd tech as of this week. The original tech has run out of ideas and I'm working on getting a refund. The second tech couldn't find it and is still researching. It's been at the third tech for a day so I haven't heard anything from him.

Chris Scott likes this.
  6. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Well, if you were here in my neck of the woods, I'd be telling you to "bring it on"...I just can't imagine how nobody's been able to isolate the problem yet.

...unless they're simply not hearing what you're hearing, which brings us back to what Walter and KGW are suggesting.:dunno

7. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

I've found worse reasons to go on vacation, and I've never been to Costa Rica. Hah.

Yes, all the techs are able to hear and recreate the problem on their own.

8. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

What I would try would be to shim the neck in the pocket, at the bridge end of the pocket with a business card piece, or some .01 shim stock.
    This will increase the break angle at the saddles, you'll need to raise the bridge posts. What this will hopefully do, is increase down-force on the bridge, and change the resonances. When the angle is too flat, you lose twangy sounds and the unspeaking length vibrates too much. You can also put felt strips laced between the non-speaking length of the strings between the trem and the bridge. Good luck!

9. toneposeur

toneposeur Member

Jazzmasters and Jaguars have that ringing quirkiness with the strings when there isn't enough downward pressure/string break angle on the bridge to the tailpiece. You should try a BuzzStop or as suggested in the above post, shim the neck so as the action has to be raised which will create more downward pressure/string break angle on the bridge.

10. JLH222

JLH222 Member

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have the same thing with my Jag and mustangs and have tried nearly all the same stuff.

11. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

Hey!

I did. But not on that guitar.

Try changing the pots to 500k or 250k and get a different cap. It has to do with the resonant peak of the pots and pickups.

12. Timtam

Timtam Member

So it never went away on the original guitar ? And another guitar had the same thing and it went away when you changed pots/cap ? Did you change those on the original guitar ?

13. coromaster

coromaster Member

This is very interesting. I have had the exact same issue with my jazzmaster and it has troubled me for some time. It is almost like a ringing metallic feed back on the high strings. I can hear it on your video and it is the exact same issue I have with mine. It doesn't occour when in the middle position, only when on bridge or neck (I use neck pretty much exclusively).

Did you just change pots to remedy this? I went down to a 500k on the volume alone and it did not remedy it for my jazzmaster. I am very interested to hear what worked for you.

14. Timtam

Timtam Member

Is it on both the rhythm and lead circuit ? The two circuits are mutually exclusive. The DPDT selector switch sends the neck pickup either direct to the rhythm circuit or to the pickup selector switch / lead circuit, and also switches the output jack to take only one circuit or the other. If the problem is heard on both, then it's unlikely to be anything in the electronics, because the circuits are different and don't interact.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  15. coromaster

coromaster Member

The rhythm side is very dull and hard to hear it, as is when the tone is decreased all the way. I think it is mainly pertaining to a high end response and maybe a resonant peak issue as the OP said?

16. coromaster

coromaster Member

if anyone wants to hear the noise in particular that myself and the OP are hinting at, I have them recorded as a WAV. This is a real resonance and not hearing damage or frequency sensitivity. Message me for files.

I am still curious on how to remedy this.

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Based on the OP having the neck relief set, I had a guitar one time with a weird rattle and its fix was a slight tweak of the trussrod. One particular spot on the trussrod adjustment caused a weird resonance...go figure.

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Here is an idea that in theory may help isolate the sound - use something to try to isolate what part of the guitar the sound is coming from without plugging the guitar into anything. You can use a number of different things. A stethoscope would be great if you have one. You can try rolling a piece of paper into a tube and holding it by you ear. Perhaps a mike could also be used if you have one plugged into an amplification device. By moving whatever you use as a hearing device, you should be at least able to isolate what the general area causing it. As you say the sound has a metallic quality, I have a feeling it doesn't originate as feedback. Without having the guitar in my hands though, this is speculation.