Weird fender twin issue..

Jeremyk92

Hey guys so I own a 1972 fender twin. I just installed eminence RWBs a few weeks ago and love them. yesterday when I was sound checking at a gig, the output volume doubled and all of my EQ knobs stopping working. I was in panic mode and fiddled with the tubes and knobs and after ten minutes or so it went back to normal and has been find since. Thought?

Check the ground at the end of the tone stack. IF you have a tech they will understand this. IF the tone stack ground 'opened up', then all of the gain loss/cut in that tone stack was bypassed.
I take it that the other channel was normal when this happened, correct?

Jeremyk92

Check the ground at the end of the tone stack. IF you have a tech they will understand this. IF the tone stack ground 'opened up', then all of the gain loss/cut in that tone stack was bypassed.
When I plugged it into the normal channel while the issue was happening the EQ works fine but the volume was not working right I was able to put it at its maximum and it wasn't even that loud where as the Reverb channel was way too loud and had no EQ

Jeremyk92

Check your tubes. Tubes that are on the brink can do some funky things. Start with preamp tubes.
I will check them all. I always felt that the amp isn't getting as loud as a twin should, which I really liked. Is it possible that the super loud output that occurred (when the EQ stopped functioning) is the actual volume and the past year it has been malfunctioning and quieter than it should be?

Tone Meister

This^^^

sickboy79

I will check them all. I always felt that the amp isn't getting as loud as a twin should, which I really liked. Is it possible that the super loud output that occurred (when the EQ stopped functioning) is the actual volume and the past year it has been malfunctioning and quieter than it should be?
Honestly, I don't know. I'm sure it's possible. Steppin' has a great suggestion too. Might be worth taking it to a tech for a check up.

NOTe......IF the amp has its original electrolytics, it is past time for service, ime, imho. IT has probably been begging for attention.

Jeremyk92

Thank you for the responses everyone I am going to bring it to a tech next week and see what they think

Tone Meister

Would be able to double the volume if it was not working correctly though?

Absolutely. In fact, "lifting the tone stack" in this way is a common "boost" feature on many amps. The combined resistance in the tone stack loads down the signal and thus reduces gain significantly. I think it's highly likely that's your problem and it's a simple fix. Have your tech check every ground in the amp, particularly those at the brass plate behind the tone controls.

Listen to Steppin' Wolfe

Jeremyk92

Absolutely. In fact, "lifting the tone stack" in this way is a common "boost" feature on many amps. The combined resistance in the tone stack loads down the signal and thus reduces gain significantly. I think it's highly likely that's your problem and it's a simple fix. Have your tech check every ground in the amp, particularly those at the brass plate behind the tone controls.

Listen to Steppin' Wolfe
Awesome thanks!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom