Weird Gibson 2019 model issue solved

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fjrabon, Oct 21, 2019.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

So my 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional has always been a bit of a mystery, it seemed to have some of the features of the 50s standard and some of the features of the 2019 traditional. I got it during the time period between when the 50s standards were announced and when they actually hit stores. I got a killer deal on it, due to a showroom ding on the side of the guitar next to the output jack.

essentially it had all the plastics of the 2019 traditional, but it had the frets of the 50s standard. And it had the 50s standard wiring (same parts as the traditional, but just with 50s wiring instead of modern wiring). I wasn’t sure about the neck, as I have a hard time telling the difference between the “50s rounded” and “50s vintage” profiles when it comes to single individual guitars.

a while back I had emailed Gibson about this, and had actually forgotten about the email.

finally got a response.

“Thank you for being a Gibson fan and family member! I was able to track down some information about your guitar that is very exciting and makes your instrument truly unique!

When the 50s standard line was imagined, we built several guitars to show at trade shows, lend to reviewers, etc. Your guitar was originally in one of these batches, so it has the “hard” feature set of a 50s traditional, as you’ve noted. The neck profile is slightly thicker around the nut, the frets are medium jumbo and the wiring is 50s style. However, for reasons I can’t quite track down, your guitar was then tabbed to go to a dealer instead of being held as a demo model as was intended. Because the 50s standard model hadn’t officially been released at this point, the final touches of the Traditional series were added: switch tip, pickguard in the case rather than factory attached, amber control knobs and “traditional” truss rod cover were applied and your guitar was shipped out as a 2019 traditional model.

So, while in our build records your serial number shows up as a 2019 original series 50s standard, in our shipping records it shows up as a 2019 Les Paul Traditional.

Such “transitional” type models have often been some of the most prized guitars in Gibson’s history, as their unique pedigree really makes them stand out. You could also say you have one of the first, if not the very first, production 50s standards, which we believe are destined to be viewed as true classics in years to come!

Thank you for reaching out, and I truly enjoyed tracking down the history of your unique guitar, and I hope you’re enjoying it! Yours is a truly special guitar in a lineup that has already been recognized as among the best in the company’s illustrious history!”

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

So cool! Congrats, but we need pics too! :)

flysky578 and fjrabon like this.
  3. mutron

mutron Member

4. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Keep that email and make sure it stays with the guitar forever.

Thumpalumpacus, Dale, monty and 2 others like this.
  5. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

6. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

beautiful guitar and really cool story...even through they were slow pretty nice Gibson followed up and gave you such specific info. Enjoy!

Dale and fjrabon like this.
  7. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

Beautiful guitar and a great story! Gibson really did their homework for you.

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, seems like maybe they are learning some lessons in PR. If you look at this objectively, they managed to make one of their screw ups seem like I got the deal of the century, lol.

But yeah, it’s an incredible guitar and the effort and story are appreciated.

9. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Silver Supporting Member

Awesome. Nice top.

10. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, I was on the look out for something that wasn’t “over the top” flame blingy, but also wasn’t a plain top. This nailed it for me, and I also like the “V” book matching over the “straight” book matching.

FLYING V 83 likes this.
  11. monty

monty Member

Looks great, hold on to her!

12. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

That is just so typically Gibson. Nice guitar, by the way. I don't think Gibson's story adds any value to it. It sounds better than "we screwed up".

TTHX likes this.
  13. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Translation model.

monty likes this.
  14. John C

John C Supporting Member

Cool! Always nice to have something unique.

15. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Good looking Les Paul and some nice amps too! Interesting story. What pickups you got in there now?

16. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

One of my favorite finishes

17. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Porter Anthem PAFs

18. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Cool looking guitar. I agree with the folks saying to hold onto the email. Not because it will for sure add some sort of significant historical or collector value (it might someday but I doubt it), but because it’s just interesting and comes straight from the horse’s mouth.

19. Musicman

Musicman Member

Cool story congrats!

20. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

Very cool. That email is your guitar’s provenance document.