Weird grounding issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by adamrobertt, May 23, 2020.

1. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

I have a parts Jazzmaster. It's nice - Warmoth neck, AV65 pickups, Mastery bridge and vibrato, etc.

Only issue I had was the knobs were a few millimeters proud of the pickguard, which irked my OCD. So today when I was changing strings, I decided to pop the guard (partially) off, stick some spare nuts I had on the pots below the pickguard, and tighten back up. Worked like a charm, the knobs are now flush with the guard. Cool!

Except now it sounds like the guitar has a loose ground. I guess there are two possibilities - I broke a ground connection when I was fiddling around inside (possible, but I think unlikely - I probably would have noticed) or the fact that the pots aren't directly contacting the metal shield on the back of the guard is the issue. (I have one of those full guard metal shields like the AV65 guitars do).

Thing is, the nuts and washers (that are securing the pots to the guard) are still contacting the metal plate. I thought this would be enough to retain electrical continuity. Am I wrong about that?

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While you don't state the actual symptoms, the first thing I usually check is to make sure the strings are grounded by using an ohm meter and check the continuity between the output jack's shell/mounting nut and the strings. That should be 0 ohms (short circuit) between those 2 points. If not, you need to investigate where the bridge is getting its ground from the rest of the guitar.

3. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Well, what's happening is a persistent "static" sound as I move my hands across the strings. Normally on a properly grounded guitar, this sound goes away when you touch the strings. Also it didn't make this noise beforehand.

I'll check the continuity. I built the guitar, so I know where the ground is :) It is grounded to the bridge via the bridge thimble, which is soldered to the back of one of the pots. Thanks!

Edit: Checked it. There is 0 continuity between the bridge/strings and the output jack.