Weird legal question....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jonny Hotnuts, Jun 22, 2018.

1. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I think this is a legit way to deal with it, let the store know their policy is turning you off to shopping there and see if they change it, if not perhaps shop elsewhere.

as for discrimination, do you see some sort of cognizable pattern to who they check and who they dont that is tied to a suspect classification?

Jason_77 and A-Bone like this.
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

You tell him it's to drink and he says "No way"
    That hypocrite drinks ounces a day

3. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I don't disagree with you and OP, but I don't think he has to be a jerk to someone because of the situation. There are mature ways to handle it.

4. Neenja

Neenja Member

I won't do it. They can put a restraining order on me if they want.

5. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I think he should escalate it further. Next time he should smack that grocery store flunky right between the eyes. That'll teach him.

EricPeterson and Penguinchit like this.
  6. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Firstly, it seems less a legal question than a validation. I'm sure you realize that while in their store, you're on their property, right?
    The poor schlub who's stuck in "Loss Prevention" probably wants his/her hands in your bags about as much as you do. If you asked I'd bet they'd tell you that someone they see often is more likely to be a thief as thieves will target a place they know they can rob.
    Unless you're hoping for a confrontation so you can whip out your phone and confirm your victim status on YouTube please consider that these folks are just as happy with this exchange as you are being a gofer.
    Not meant to insult, no offense intended.
    But ya gotta admit, "what's in the bag, Hotnuts?"...classic.

ChorusCrackpot likes this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

They can try, but if I interact with just one bad attitude, I'm not going to let it ruin my day.

8. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Someday, when they no longer stop you, you'll be "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty I'm free at last..."

9. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I'd be polite the first few times and probably go see a manager if it kept happening. Unless you have a badge and gun, you ain't gonna detain me, but I can't imagine what it would take to get to that point.

I got spoken sharply to at a store I frequent. I sometimes get a few chicken tenders at the hot food counter and munch on them as I shop. They always weigh the bag and put a bar code label on it before they hand it to me, so the price is there. While munching on one, an employee told me I needed to pay for them first. I said I had the bag with the price label on it and planned to pay when I was done shopping. She persisted. I told her I'm in that store several times a week (going on eight years now), most of the employees recognize me and I would pay for it. Then she told me I needed to be careful because of the security cameras. That's when I had to restrain myself and only say, "Why would I care about security cameras? I'm not stealing!"

10. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

:rotflmao

PLX likes this.
  11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

Where's the "Are you mad, bro?" video?

OP--- you confessed it in your first post. You're being an A-hole. Surely you have better things to spend your energy on...

12. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Since it is "voluntary", I assume the customer can decline and leave the store? :huh
    I've always read that the primary reason for checking receipts is not to control theft (after all, a shoplifter will still have stolen goods hidden on them, not out in the open where a door checker can cross check the receipt); it is a QC check on the checkers to make sure that they are doing their job accurately. :dunno

A-Bone likes this.
  13. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Nope - shopping carts!

A-Bone and epo like this.
  14. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

AFAIK, that's not why they check the receipts. It's a QC check of their checkers.

A-Bone likes this.
  15. A-Bone

Which the OP seems to have demonstrated repeatedly by refusing and leaving the store with his purchased items.

ChorusCrackpot and VCuomo like this.
  16. A-Bone

Good point. I should have said loss, rather than limiting it to theft.

17. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

The Shopkeepers privilege only applies when there is a reasonable suspicion that a theft has occurred, and of course each jurisdiction differs. What burns me is if I buy beer, they want both my ID and the ID of anyone I am with. I have asked the teller before if I come in here with my 5 year old, will you deny me the purchase?

18. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Ha! The Total Wine stores around here have signs that read, "We arrest minors!" Really? What arrest powers do those store employees have? I don't expect most minors to know this, but I'd laugh if anyone without a badge and gun tried to arrest me.

I did have a 7-11 clerk refuse to sell a pack of smokes to a friend from Germany, who was 25 at the time. She was a doctor and flashed her int'l. physician ID card, but no dice. So I tried to buy them and he wouldn't sell them to me, knowing I was buying them for her. We went to the other 7-11 directly across the street and bought them there.

19. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

:aok Yep, it's "loss prevention".

A-Bone likes this.
  20. A-Bone

time2kill likes this.