Weird-looking and unorthodox amp designs... post 'em

teemuk

Inspired by the "best looking amp" thread, let's post pics of some real oddballs...

Toby flip top bass amp. The top portion folds over the speaker, which is also a horn loaded enclosure. Cool VU meter too. Sorry, I haven't yet found a better photo that would show the amp completely.

Teisco Checkmate 30, nicknamed "coffee table amp". Cylindrical enclosure and a speaker firing upwards to a cone that disperses the sound 360 degrees.

Guild G-1000. This is a acoustic guitar amp combining a stool to sit on. Toby also made a similar looking cylindrical amp (which was used by some famous guitarist) but it wasn't a stool like the Guild here.

Acoustic Control Tuned Tube. Again a cylindrical speaker enclosure, with speaker firing to the sides and dispersion controlled with hinged "side panels".

teemuk

Georg Bolin "Tonboard". Amp unit looking like the toneboard / echo chamber of an acoustic at right, portable speaker at left.

teemuk

Phoenix PHA-1 head and a matching PHS-1 cab combination from 1970's. Top and bottom panel of the chassis can be pulled apart for easier service.

3rd Power cabs, which I believe have a patented interlocking mechanism to keep the thing in part:

Abe

That Teisco reminds me of an upside down Lincoln Walsh speaker. Like a backwards Ohm F or something. Can you describe it's tone in a bit more detail?

This is a great thread. Fascinating stuff.

Abe

Rock Johnson

Teisco Checkmate 30, nicknamed "coffee table amp". Cylindrical enclosure and a speaker firing upwards to a cone that disperses the sound 360 degrees.
I had a hand-me-down stereo when I was a kid that had speakers just like that, except they didn't have any knobs. Just smooth round enclosures with the gray plastic cones.

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
Phoenix PHA-1 head and a matching PHS-1 cab combination from 1970's. Top and bottom panel of the chassis can be pulled apart for easier service.

3rd Power cabs, which I believe have a patented interlocking mechanism to keep the thing in part:
nice - no parallel interior sufaces (except for front and back).

Jef Bardsley

That Teisco reminds me of an upside down Lincoln Walsh speaker. Like a backwards Ohm F or something. Can you describe it's tone in a bit more detail?
That's not the speaker cone, that's a reflector. The speaker fires up at it. Sort of the ultimate "beam blocker".

GaryE

Anyone know anything about this cool/crazy rig? I have been trying to find more info about this for ages. Who made it?

teemuk

It's a work from Japanese (machine) sculptor Hiroshi Araki titled "King of Audio and Goodman Speakers". I don't know whether it's actually a functional amp or not.

GaryE

It's a work from Hiroshi Araki titled "King of Audio and Goodman Speakers". I don't know whether it's actually a functional amp or not.
Thanks Teemuk! I haven't seen that pic before! I always thought that the rig was much taller...

teemuk

Here's the aforementioned cylindrical Toby "GTR" amp and its famous user...

The amp featured two 12-inch speakers, and if you look at the picture closely you can see how they rather conventionally fire on the sides like any other amp, but the cylindrical enclosure design just put them in a different angle in relation to each other. Common misconception is also that the amp acted as a stool; it didn't, the controls are located on the top and it would have been rather inconvenient to sit on top of them. The amp could also be stacked atop an identical-looking extension speaker to form a "Toby Sound Column".

sonic_777111

Can't remember the brand offhand, but I remember reading about a company that built amps in old appliances - there was an amp built out of a chili cooker, one built out of an electric fan...crazy stuff.

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
That is only the second Toby amp I've seen in my life. A high school bud had one given to him when the music store could not get his Vox Essex bass amp back from repair, so they gave him this huge Toby bass amp on wheels with 2 x 15" speakers.

The speakers were next to each other horizontally, and their baffle tilted up at an angle. You flipped up the top on a hinge to reveal the speakers, and 3 huge control knobs and a big VU meter.

A google search reveals a small pic of what seems to be a one speaker version of my friend's behemoth.

Trending Topics