Weird looping pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JDre19, Aug 8, 2015.

1. JDre19

JDre19 Member

I'm looking for looper pedals that allow you to manipulate and do weird things to your looped samples. Here are the ones I know of:

1. EHX stereo memory man- you can change the speed of your loops, hi-pass filters, etc...

2. El Capistan- sound on sound tape loops

3. Time factor (does a lot of stuttery stuff)

4. Zvex Lo fi looper

What else is out there?

topo morto likes this.
  2. bass_econo

bass_econo Member

3. slybird

slybird Member

I'm using circularlabs Mobius looper on a mac and a Behringer 1010. More powerfull then any hardware based looper I know of.

JamonGrande and tremolo3 like this.
  4. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

not intended to be comprehensive, but:

hexe revolver II (esp. w/ "vario")
    montreal assembly count to five
    judder
    red panda particle
    boomerang

not pedals, but kickass:
    oberheim/gibson EDP
    electric repeater
    lexicon pcm42
    elektron octatrak

plus quite a few SW apps & plug-ins

etc

5. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Count to five does look cool.

Of course all the ones Splatt has mentioned. I've been having fun with Möbius in Ableton.

Hardware wise, the H9/Timefactor looper algorithm does loop start/end, pitch and reverse. As does the Pigtronix Infinity and Boomerang 3.

I just want a simple, midi enabled phrase looper stomp box. Like a Headrush that would sync to a midi clock. There still seems to be a gap between a Ditto and a Boomerang/Infinity/H9.

There's also a gap in looping technology that hopefully Splatt is looking into...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  6. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Pretty sure he is very familiar with that gap. I wish someone would take his ideas and make it into real hardware. I want flexibility and manipulations available, but it must be able to travel and play shows. A computer is fine at home but it doesn't make sense in my guitar rig.

That said, given the options these days I still am clinging to my DL4. Strongly considering picking up a Hexe Revolver and a ZVex Lofi Loop Junky.

celticelk likes this.
  7. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Timefactor/H9 way underrated as a looper.

splatt likes this.
  8. AmmoniteII

AmmoniteII Member

Nothing major but the hotone wally will let you speed up or slow down the loop effectively giving you an ovtave up and very fast version or octave down and very slow version of your loop and everthing inbetween.

9. slybird

slybird Member

Why only at home? I've seen many small bands and street musicians incorporate a computer into their rig. This includes guitar, cello, sax, violin, and a few other. I think a computer is a nessesity for every cutting-edge tech rig. I think incorporating a computer live is less hassle than lugging around a 4x12 and heavy amp.

10. FoolOnThePlanet

FoolOnThePlanet Supporting Member

Hotone Wally is neat, very small, and has a speed knob for the loop.

11. Modulator

Modulator Member

CAS Teaspoon. I've wanted one for years... Good luck getting one. :)

Echoplex Digital Pro, while not a pedal, can do some cool weird glitchy things no other hardware looper can do. I still prefer it over the Pigtronix Infinity.

12. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

I did write "in my rig." It is just my choice that I do not want to deal with a computer, interface, MIDI controller, and all the accompanying problems. A computer interface is not interesting or creative for me, and any problems I experience (with computers in general) trigger a sort of sense of being overwhelmed. Similar to how I prefer tweaking knobs rather than creating presets and have also avoided buying rack gear. Keeping things simple by using a few pieces of gear that I can squeeze diverse possibilities. I prefer to not convert my signal to digital if possible, though a looper is the exception and the only digital device in my rig.

13. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Count to unobtanium.

cbickford84 and PurpleJesus like this.
  14. mech

mech Member

A little late to the party, as usual. But this thread meshes pretty well with some of my tastes, so let me add a data point or two:

The Squarewave Parade (TSP) Teaspoon: I've got one of the originals, but it's not the Teaspoon CAS (cream-&-sugar) model. It's pretty cool, but you're starting to see some newer pedals out there (the hexe revolver, red panda particle, and count to five have all been mentioned) that can do similar things. I don't know if I'd kill myself trying to get one just for the 'unique & rare' thing.

Lo-Fi Loop Junky: Make certain to test one of these in person before you buy it (!!!), especially if you want it to be "weird". Mine has never been able to do much wobble and is not very lo-fi, no matter what I put through it. It will only give a soft subtle vibrato at max with barely any pitch deviation. I contacted Zachary Vex personally about this after I received it, to see if there were a setting or mod to make it deeper (read: noticeable at all). His reply was that all my guitars were at fault for not outputting the right signal level, that it worked just fine for everybody else, and if I weren't satisfied to go buy something else. :p

As it stands, there's not much difference between my Lo-Fi Loop Junky and my TC Ditto. So make sure the Lo-Fi is to your liking, or save yourself some money and get a Ditto or a Wally.

One that is not mentioned here yet is the Audible Disease Junk-Fi Sampler: This one is almost too lo-fi, but I love it. Whatever you feed into it comes out sounding like a cheap broken children's toy, and it's everything the Z-Vex pedal should have been. It's great! The only thing I don't like about it is that the input/output stages are horribly mismatched (on mine at least). Whatever is running into it can be barely audible when you're recording, but will blow your speakers out the minute the loop starts. Still working on taming that....

And one which is not a Looper per-se, but which can be used for looping is the Spunky Toofers Rabbit Hole Delay: This is a circuit bent Boss PS-2 with a lot of extra electronics added and rehoused in an old "Speak-and-*" children's toy unit. This will mangle any sound within it for days. My favorite is merely the fact that the clocking circuit can be slowed down almost to standstill, stretching and degrading whatever is fed into the delay buffer the delay buffer until it is an unrecognizable mess. It also has about 20 or so different switches and buttons that activate different bends in the circuits and twist the sound in all sorts of other ways.

I agree with pretty much everything on @splatt's list above (uh, is that your account DT?). But I would add the Looperlative LP-1 to his list of rackmount units. Everybody agrees that this and the EDP are probably the most fully-featured hardware Loopers out on the market, software notwithstanding. There are all kinds of cool/weird things that you can do with it, from scramble and quantize-replace kinds of effects, to using it's AUX outputs to assign other effect chains to your individual loops, to (one of my current favorites) micro-looping of the same sort you get on the Particle or Teaspoon. Except that, with the right MIDI pedal, micro-looping on the LP-1 is much more configurable and not nearly as restrictive as products like the Particle. Think more of the studio stuff you hear that Byrne & Eno did with the PCM-42 on "Bush of Ghosts" or Byrne's soundtrack for "The Catherine Wheel".

I'm also currently working on figuring out how to duplicate that same sort of micro-looping capability for the Pigtronix Infinity, which I should be receiving in a couple of weeks, I think. I believe I can do it, but as an aside, I would emphasize that there are a lot of functions that can be culled out of even normal Loopers if they can interface with the right MIDI controller. Units like the Softstep, Gordius, and many of the more advanced foot controllers that can stack/manipulate commands can cause Loopers to behave in "weird" ways that can be really interesting if you know how to use/break them. ;)

splatt, tremolo3 and celticelk like this.
  15. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

hey, mech!

so no, while it's been updated, the hexe revolver isn't new; it was concurrent with, or it preceded, the TSP. i think that piotr started it in 2008 or 2009?

i love the revolver.
    with its instant looping/mangling/re-pitching/controlled-randomising stuff which doesn't require midi-mapped-out forethought & offers a very direct interface to make it all go, it just kicked ass for me from day 1.
    initially, i only used it to replace some functions of a temporarily unstable EDP, but then.... then, i started finding other stuff with it. now i have two -- one v2 and one v2+vario+mode-shifter wired in series --- in my regular guitar set-up, plus the original pcm42-mod and an EDP-LoopIV in a parallel path & separate amp (along with small mixer & lexicon pcm80).
    i love the revolvers. i def don't think of them as providing "effects" so much, but as little vehicles to new hells & other kinds of places.

>snipped<

while i appreciated the looperlative lp1's sound-quality & feature set, its functions were far fewer than those offered by the electrix repeater;
    micro-looping might be better/faster on the lp1, sound quality is certainly better on the lp1 and its scrambler is really cool (not too far-off from what's possible with the EDP's 'windowing'-features, fwiw), but the repeater's routing, continuously variable speed/tempo & re-pitching controls, re-pitched re-triggering (separable per track) via midi, incredibly deep midi controls, storage & storage-recall facilities etc made it --- still make it --- awfully freaking powerful.
    i do use mine, but no longer perform with them other than in studios.

re: the pcm42 on "bush of ghosts"?
    that record was released in 1980; the first pcm42's were produced by lexicon / gary hall in 1981.

maybe you're thinking of the lexicon prime time? i believe that gary (or david dunetz?) modded a few of those, as well; i'm pretty sure that gary modded a prime time II for steve tibbetts before i got my pcm42.

but, much of "bush of ghosts" ambiences & loopy stuff & many ghostly pygmies were generated & performed by none other than mr. jon hassell, playing his unique trumpet with AMS-DMX 15-80s pitch-shifting delays..... & a publison reverb, i believe.

yeah, great! wanna hear!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  16. D Rock

D Rock Member

EHX 16 second digital delay. Super awesome looper with pitch and tempo modulation independently.

Very hard to find though.

17. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

I'm just going to quote my post from the "Cool/Weird/Glitchy Delays" Thread - hopefully I don't sound like a broken record, but I really do love these units and what they can achieve.

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Nice, I've been using this old rack for same effect, footswitches at your feet but time and modulation knobs are up at hand level. Weird way you can actually "tune" it to what your playing as you ramp speed/pitch up or down while holding a phrase or note with left hand on fretboard.

[​IMG]

19. p.j.

p.j. Member

The Vox Dynamic Looper has this capability. You can program it to go down or up in pitch. I like the Wally. It is one of my "cute" pedals according to my wife.

20. crowquill

crowquill Member

The strymon timeline allows you to put the looper before the delays so, after you loop, you can effect the loop with whatever delay algorithm you want. There's a lot of awesome stuff you can do with the lofi delay algorithm - you can even set it to a basically negligible delay time of 2ms and set a 100 mix, allowing you to effect the loops in real time in many ways including EQ filters, bit rate reduction, sample rate reduction, adding a faux vinyl noise, and modulation