Weird Loud Picking sound through the amp, my guitar or amp?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slianto, Feb 27, 2012.

1. slianto

slianto Member

Hi.. after solved my bad buzzing problem by changing the guitar cord now i can hear clearly!
    and actually i found some more problem..

Here's the soundclip: http://soundcloud.com/slianto/guitar-or-amp-noise

I heard a loud picking sound coming through the amp ( a new amp, roland cube 20xl). and an used strat vintage CIJ. (texas pickup maybe)
    it's even louder when i increase the volume, on a clean sound i still can hear it loud, but not as loud as with high gain+distortion.
    Actually i think it's not picking sound itself, because the sound's like when the pick is 'make contact' or 'touching' the string before picking,
    that's why i heard this before the notes itself.

Every note. so if i play 5 notes, i heard 5 pick sounds.

I search everywhere, and try some alternative like use a thicker pick, decrease the treble, gain, but still the same.
    and I guess it's not the picking technique, i try all the angles, try gently picking, etc. but the noise is coming when my pick/nail make contact with the string (not grounding noise). it's like "cloc cloc cloc" if i turn the treble/gain down then the picking sound become more dull but still loud out there like "blugh blugh blugh".

I feels like the pickup/amp is super sensitive catching all the sound. I try this: i completely muted the string with my left hand and touch the edge of my pick on the string, it's making contact/touch sound coming though the amp, almost the same sound i heard when i picking.
    So once again..it's not about the picking, it's when the pick/nail is touching the strings.
    I try all 5 switch position but it's the same. very loud with high gain+distortion it's about the notes sound:60%, picking/touching sound:40%.

The question is, the problem is my guitar?or my amp?
    I have no another guitar or amp, so i can't figured it yet.
    Pls kindly help.. thanks.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. slianto

slianto Member

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Tun down the gain...way down.
    Try it now and turn up until it stops sounding ok to you.
    Play below that distortion level.

4. slianto

slianto Member

i tried to turn the gain down until i reach the middle, 50%.
    but still hear the same sound just a bit reduce..so do my tone..too low .
    and then if i increase my volume,with still 50% gain,'that sound' become louder again so do my tone..

if i play with the EQ like lower the treble, and the gain, distortion, etc.
    'that sound' still there, but in different kind.. like less treble, more dull, etc. but it's still there and i can hear it clearly if i increase the volume.

5. Honk

Honk Member

It just sounds like loud pick attack. :dunno

The last two notes you play, it's hardly there, so I have to assume picking style does play a role.

I would try to let less pick protrude from your finger and thumb so as not to pick so deeply, but also lower the pickups some. When I've set vintage pickups too high to get more output, it has increased some of the uglier mechanical sounds of guitar playing, like this and other various squeaks and knocks.

6. fumbler

fumbler Member

Hard to tell with the gain but here's my guess: you're touching the pick flat to the string before actually plucking it. The pick is becoming a temporary fret and you are hearing the string vibrate between that spot and the bridge.

If I'm right then try picking in a different place and you'll hear the pitch of that overtone change. Try playing with your fingers and it should go away.

You need to work on your picking technique. Or try nylon (Jim Dunlop) picks which are softer. And +1 to Honk's suggestion to lower your pickups.

7. slianto

slianto Member

well i'm always wondering about my picking so yesterday i invited my friend to test out my guitar, he's from another city and he's coming to my city for 2 days due his job.
    (he's a very good shredder!) yes he's told me to hold pick more, so less pick touch the guitar this can reduce pick attack noise, but when he tried my guitar, even with his technique, the sounds still appear. and he said it could be my guitar or amp but he doesn't know for sure. also as i remembered, when i play on the studios, different guitar and different amp, i don't hear 'that sound'.

i guess it's best to try it in another amp/guitar to narrow down the issue..
    well i'll do that when i had chance next week, and will update the result!

8. groovington

groovington Member

lower. your. pickups.

9. slianto

slianto Member

already did that man, but doesn't help much..
    okay i think that sound is reduced, but so do my tone..the output sound is lower too. if i turn up the amp's volume so my tone is louder then that noise's is louder too...