Weird moment with my Budda -- rectifier tube issue?

draelyc

Was just jamming a bit & there was a soft pop & a flash of white light from behind the amp. Obviously, I couldn't tell exactly where it came from, but the flash seemed to come from the far left, about where the rectifier tube is. I pulled the amp out so I could look back there but didn't see anything that seemed wrong or out of place. Sound was otherwise unchanged & everything seemed to be fine afterwards, but I shut the amp down anyway just to be safe.

Thinking I should replace the recti tube, just to be safe. Maybe? :dunno

Anything like this ever happen to any of y'all?

Thx, gents.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I don't recall anything like that happening with any of my Buddas but yeah, I would try new tubes for sure.

Blue Strat

The power tubes would be the next closest tubes, correct? I'd suspect those too. If you have spares, which is a great idea for moments like these, I'd swap them in.

draelyc

Werd. Pretty sure I've got some EL84s lying around when I get back home. Gonna have to order a rectifier tube, tho -- the Budda's the first amp I've had that uses one! :)

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Was just jamming a bit & there was a soft pop & a flash of white light from behind the amp. Obviously, I couldn't tell exactly where it came from, but the flash seemed to come from the far left, about where the rectifier tube is. I pulled the amp out so I could look back there but didn't see anything that seemed wrong or out of place. Sound was otherwise unchanged & everything seemed to be fine afterwards, but I shut the amp down anyway just to be safe.

Thinking I should replace the recti tube, just to be safe. Maybe? :dunno

Anything like this ever happen to any of y'all?

Thx, gents.

Is yours the John Travolta's Stayin' alive Series Budda?
The disco flashes and all?

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Never had anything like that, rectifier tubes either work or they don't. Luckily they are cheap and you can get some nice Nos 5u4gbs pretty cheap. A set of el84s is cheap too.

Blaqhat

Day in day out I measure 150+ on jobs sometimes 185+, the grid is antiquated and it will **** up a rectifier tube. They were ment for 115 volts.

draelyc

Day in day out I measure 150+ on jobs sometimes 185+, the grid is antiquated and it will **** up a rectifier tube. They were ment for 115 volts.

You talking about the power at the outlet? Wow, that's a huge discrepancy, innit? I'm using a surge protector, but I'm guessing that only helps for, like, surges, not for steady amounts of too much juice?

Blaqhat

I'm probably wrong, but voltage is way higher than should be if the potential is there and the draw is there, well what's the valve gonna do but burn out quick.

draelyc

Welp, I did a little experimenting with the few EL84s I still had on hand from the last time I had an amp that used them. Seemed like a good excuse to do so, before buying any replacements. Had some TADs, some Orions, and just today discovered some old JJs lying around.

The TADs did better than the Orions, which seemed too clean, almost sterile.

So I then gave the JJs a fairly extensive workout at practice (though not gig) volume, and then I compared them directly with the TADs -- which are rated 3, fwiw.

As expected the JJs sounded great but really rounded off the high end. The TADs were better for the classic rawk tones I gravitate to, plus they retained a lot more sparkle when rolling off the guitar's volume for cleans.

So it looks like I'll just be picking up a new rectifier, but digging on these TADs for a while to see how they last.

Also, it was one of those nights when the Budda just kicked the crap out of my Shiva for raw tone. To quote Keanu Reeves, "whoa."

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Welp, I did a little experimenting with the few EL84s I still had on hand from the last time I had an amp that used them. Seemed like a good excuse to do so, before buying any replacements. Had some TADs, some Orions, and just today discovered some old JJs lying around.

The TADs did better than the Orions, which seemed too clean, almost sterile.

So I then gave the JJs a fairly extensive workout at practice (though not gig) volume, and then I compared them directly with the TADs -- which are rated 3, fwiw.

As expected the JJs sounded great but really rounded off the high end. The TADs were better for the classic rawk tones I gravitate to, plus they retained a lot more sparkle when rolling off the guitar's volume for cleans.

So it looks like I'll just be picking up a new rectifier, but digging on these TADs for a while to see how they last.

Also, it was one of those nights when the Budda just kicked the crap out of my Shiva for raw tone. To quote Keanu Reeves, "whoa."

I much prefer the Superdrives to the standard Shiva (well not the clean channel). I have a 20th Shiva and it's on par with the Budda drive channel, not better just on par. The Budda's are such stellar amps for such little money!

draelyc

I much prefer the Superdrives to the standard Shiva (well not the clean channel). I have a 20th Shiva and it's on par with the Budda drive channel, not better just on par. The Budda's are such stellar amps for such little money!

I actually dig the Budda's clean channel better than the Shiva's! :eek:.

Maybe I got some thinking to do ... :)

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I had that happen to my early PTP SD18 once, years ago, and put in a Weber copper rectifier and it's been perfect ever since. I've never really ever noticed any real difference in tone or feel.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I actually dig the Budda's clean channel better than the Shiva's! :eek:.

Maybe I got some thinking to do ... :)

I could see that it's a great clean channel too and actually works better with fuzzes and the like. Definitely sits really well in a band mix.

draelyc

I had that happen to my early PTP SD18 once, years ago, and put in a Weber copper rectifier and it's been perfect ever since. I've never really ever noticed any real difference in tone or feel.

Okay, so cool -- I'm not nuts, lol! :)

I'm not familiar with the Weber piece -- is that a non-tube replacement?

Fwiw, it hasn't happened again in the past couple days. :dunno

Trending Topics

Top Bottom