Weird question: what does a distortion pedal sound like through a powered FRFR ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by speedyone, Feb 9, 2012.

1. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

In an effort to absolutely pare down my gear to bare bones essentials and ease of use/set-up, I have now a UD Stomp and a Barber B-Custom Direct Drive Super Sport....WHICH I was considering just running into a powered monitor (potentially, an Alto TS-112A).

That way, I wouldn't even have to use my heavy combo amp.

My question is this: For all you digital/modeller folks out there, have you ever tried running just a distortion pedal into a FRFR speaker/monitor, and if so, what does it sound like?

Does the pedal sound "weird" through a FRFR set-up as compared to running it into the front of an amp, or is there basically no difference at all between a traditional amp and a FRFR since you can use the pedal's EQ to make it sound just like it would through a traditional amp set-up?

Thanks for any opinions/experiences you guys could share!

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Try it and see for yourself. The only pedal that would work IMO is one of the Tech21 character pedals or something with amp simulation.

3. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

...you mean with cab simulation. That is the necessary part when you go FRFR. An Ethos overdrive would also work.
    Back to the OP, if you want to use the Barber as a preamp, you'll need one of those cab simulation pedals.

4. kyolic

kyolic Member

It would sound like poo without the cabinet simulation.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

THIS.

6. Chris Martins

Chris Martins Member

...after eating Indian food for 5 days straight...

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

It's the same sort of character as putting a preamp direct... sounds very thin, brittle and gritty. "Bees in a can" comes to mind if you have any gain in it.

The Tech 21 Character pedals and other preamp pedals with cab simulation built-in are much better tools for the job.

IMHO.

8. Pick909

Pick909 Member

9. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

I still have a DG stomp boxed up somewhere in my house and it was a decent enough amp/cab emulator iirc. Does the UD have the same capabilities? It's possible that the UD could be the last thing before the monitor and work out well enough. Worth a try anyhow since you already own it.

10. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

According to Line 6, Purple Haze was a Fuzz Face through an Orange power amp.

11. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

depends how you define 'weird'...

if your definition is:

weird/wi(ə)rd/

Adjective: a sound reminiscent of a swarm of angry bees trapped in metal trash can.

...then yes, it definitely sounds weird.

12. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Very few pedals will even sound remotely decent going direct to FRFR.

I run direct regularly (with an Ethos Overdrive that was designed for this), or a modeler such as the PODHD.

I was experimenting with my pedal collection one day just to see if I could get any usable results running dirt into a DI box into the board, FRFR. Out of all my dirt boxes the Shannon Ember OD was the only one I could set up and get a tone I thought I could use in a desperate situation. Even it wasn't idea, but better than others. (As for Barber Pedals, I also tried the Half-Gainer, Burn Unit EQ, Dual Unltd, and Small fry....I think his pedals are too full range to sound good in this application - the EQ just isn't right to make a FRFR sound like an amp should).

Something like a Tech21 Character pedal designed with amp and cab simulation will yield much better results as others have said.

13. Pietro

the DG stomp does indeed have cabinet emulation. It might work very well.

14. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

That does look intersting. And I noticed on the details page it has a vague 4 types of power amp tube simulation feature. This should help make such a solution much better than just the cab and mic simulation.

Hopefully that power amp simulation can also be turn off for those that want to run an Ethos or similar pre-amp into it (i.e. only use the cab and mic sims)...should be interesting for sure!

15. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

But the op has the UD stomp. I'm just assuming it's pretty much the same design but I'm not certain.

16. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

^ true

17. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

UD Stomp is a delay pedal. No cab emulation--or amp modeling for that matter.

Bang for the buck and versatility wise, a Zoom G3 or HD300 would probably be the best bet.

18. Pietro

Oops... UD Stomp. Right... cool delay pedal... get something else, though...

19. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Hendrix did it for Foxy Lady. I don't see it as an overall/endall option.

20. BobbyL57

BobbyL57 Member

Without cab sim it will sound like giant mosquitos in heat although that could be useful from time to time.