Weird sound coming out of my amp. Radio signal?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by NoahL, Jan 31, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

There's a weird four-note pattern coming out of my amp whether I'm playing or not. Almost sounds like the "Twilight Zone" "dee-doo-dee-doo" sound effect. It repeats over and over. It's fairly faint and doesn't get a whole lot louder when I turn up, but it definitely disappears when I turn the amp off. Is it some kind of radio signal? What does this mean?

2. NoahL

NoahL Member

It's a Crate V16, several years old, one of the U.S.-made ones. It has reverb, and the reverb doesn't seem to be working, either. The two cables coming to the reverb tank are plugged in, however. Thoughts?

3. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

Could it be a cell phone?

4. NoahL

NoahL Member

I probably had mine in my pocket. Thanks. Sound's gone now.

5. Trout

Trout Member

Our water metering unit makes an audible morse code type sound. They ran a lead the entire length of our basement for the damn thing.
    They also got kinda pissy when I cut it off, but hey, at the time I thought it was something else:jo

6. NoahL

NoahL Member

Update: I hear it loudest (though still faintly) when I dime the reverb (which is not working otherwise). Rolling the reverb back, the sound disappears around 12 o'clock. (Now the sound is a two-note repeating pattern, one high, one low; It was three notes before.) Volume and Gain do not affect the sound. It's definitely coming out of the speaker and not a mechanical noise from directly inside the reverb tank. It's audio. Maybe this is just a symptom of a f-ed up-reverb tank. The rap on these Crates is that the reverb is so-so. What's a good replacement tank that will upgrade my sound?

7. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    maybe your being probed dee doo dee doo. Can you here me Major Tom?

8. NoahL

NoahL Member

Aliens want to reconcile humans' extreme sophistication with my lousy guitar playing. It's a mystery for the cosmos.