1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weird/strange pickups.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by starvingartist, Feb 10, 2008.

1. starvingartist

starvingartist Supporting Member

I'm tired of your typical Strat and Tele singles, p-90s, and humbuckers. Post some interesting/unusual pickups in this thread!

:cool:

2. RomanS

RomanS Member

I have a homemade Thinline Tele with a HCC-pickup from www.vintagevibeguitars.com in the neck position (the bridge pup is a HB-sized P90): it looks a bit like a HB-sized CharlieChristian-style pickup, but the construction is actually closer to a P90 with a blade pole. It has a very transparent, slightly darker, really HUGE sound; kind like a 3D-C_I_N_E_M_A_S_C_O_P_E sound. Great for clean playing, finger-picking, jazzy stuff, but also very nice for raunchy lower-gain crunch stuff.
    Here's a pic of that guitar:

[​IMG]

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You sir have ruined my evening. I have been lusting for a tele with a CC pickup in the neck and this thing of beauty has made my heart paplitate. What kind of wood is that? I luv it!

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

How about these boomerang jobs on the Norlin-era Flying V 2?

[​IMG]

5. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I was just looking at my latest edition of VG and saw a Lace ad and they had some PU's that looked pretty bizzaro. Not your standard PU by any means.

6. RomanS

RomanS Member

That's an ash top on an alder body, finished with boiled linseed oil, and some wax on top (feels almost like raw wood). Got the body from Ebay, from a seller named "cstcustomguitars". The neck is maple, w/ a pau ferro board, from Warmoth.
    BTW, the pic doesn't due that top justice - it's a slightly warmer tone in real life, and the flame is also more noticeable (never saw flamed ash before I got this one).

BTW, VVG also offers non-HB-sized CC-style pickups (which deviate from "real" CC pickups in some construction details, like wire gauge - supposedly, the Jason Lollar CCs are closer to the "real thing", but also cost twice as much; and those VVG CCs do sound absolutely, stunningly great, no matter how "original" they are...)

Some more pics for your enjoyment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

filltertrons... and dynasonics... both equally cool.

man i need some chet atkins immediately.

8. fatback

fatback Member

a few from NAMM

Seymour Duncun had this cool P-90, blade 'bucker. :eek:
    [​IMG]

new lace alumitone humbuckers in red!
    [​IMG]

The Harmony reissues had some beautiful repro pickups.
    [​IMG]

T.V. Jones (guitar and pickups)
    [​IMG]

9. RomanS

RomanS Member

Danelectro lipsticks also haven't been mentioned yet - great for clean playing, or lightly OD'd blues tones. You can even get them in the size of Strat single-coils, for easier exchange.

10. rewog

rewog Member

Check out Dave Stephens new P13 pickups in the Manufacturer's Emporium....
    Sort of a cross between a CC Blade, and a P-90.
    :dude

OneNote likes this.
  11. starvingartist

starvingartist Supporting Member

12. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

RomanS,

That is one beatiful, and very cool, guitar!

Did you get the pickup rings from Pete, too, or did you make them yourself? I've been wanting to run a pair of the CC's in a project I just started, but didn't want to have to run a pickguard (which is how the standard CC's mount). Those pickup rings look like the perfect solution! :AOK

13. RomanS

RomanS Member

Those are just regular black plastic humbucker rings, nothing special. It was a bit tricky getting the angled top of the pickups through the rings, though.

The neck pickup is a HCC model (there's a HS90 at the bridge), which is sized like a regular humbucker - for his CCs you'd have to make a custom ring, though (or have Pete do that, I guess for a little extra charge that shoudln't be a problem for him.

14. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

That is awesome looking.

15. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, RomanS!

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Some guitar faves:

-- Dearmond 2k pickups, stock on DA M-75T, Starfire Specials and others. Looks like a Dynasonic but isn't. Somewhat P90ish. In the right guitar (for me, the M-75T is it), has a unique sound, warm, smooth and hot as hell at higher volumes. I use my M75T for open tuning and slide work ... sounds more like a lapsteel than a guitar, due to these pickups.

-- Kleenex box top pickups, on old Kays. Another sorta P-90 pickup. Sweet tones. A singing, melodic pickup for slide work.

And from the lapsteel world:

-- Charlie Christian p/u, on an EH-185. The B3 of the pickup world, at least on this amazing instrument. Gets wide and fat, fills up the room.

-- Rickenbacker horseshoe p/u, on an old Academy (lightweight student model with a bakelite body). Wild stuff. This one will move furniture around at higher volumes. Has a deep, bell-like smoothness with treble rolled off. A truly beautiful sound.

17. fcortex

fcortex Member

Check these out ... I purchased a set a few years ago, and they are the clearest pickups that I have ever heard:

http://www.q-tuner.com/

18. wbfree

wbfree Member

I was going to say what you said. Mine sit in a fender showmaster that has a bubinga top kind of dark and they look bitchin' way cool..main point they sound awesome. My only caveat the output on the b and high e seems weak, if you have any thoughts on that can you pm me. Having said that I wouldn't change these pups ever.

19. Medication

Medication Member

bump. favorite thread.