1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weird Tone Change

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jzguitar, Dec 25, 2005.

1. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Hey everyone

I posted this over in the Z forum as well. Is there anything that would cause the tone of my Dr. Z Mazerati to become very midrangy/honky/harsh (hard to put into words!) I've changed all of the tubes and it still sounds off. I've tried different guitars/speakers and bypassed all of my FX, too. It made my last week of gigs a little tough, since I'm used to the usual nice fat Z tone! I've emailed the Doc about it, but I was curious if anyone here had any ideas as well. Maybe something in the tone circuit? A cap? A resistor? The flux capacitor :D ?
    Thanks and have a great holiday!

jz

2. sosomething

sosomething Member

Might be something wrong with your guitar!

3. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

That's what I was thinking, too - but I tried another one and it didn't help.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm sure Doc (assuming that is the maker?) will have more to the point and helpful info but...

Was there any more history than you gave to this? Sometimes it helps to review...I mean was any change made just prior to the change in tone that you might be overlooking? Were the tubes changed prior to this as well, or were they getting to their age limit? Have you played in any placed with funky voltages, or change out guitar cables, or anything like that?

Probably you thought of that, but with a long history of troubleshooting (electronics at work, and my own equipment) I know I have sometimes overlooked things that when I suddenly think back it is an "oh yeah...I had just changed X, of course!"

Thinking that, if you changed tubes OR they just started going, and you buy new and they also don't sound right, it still doesn't rule out tubes.
    Even with silicon components that are tighter tolerance than tubes, biggest faulty logic turns out to be "well...I just changed out the transistor with a new one, so it CAN'T be that" when it turns out you CAN get unlucky.

Interested to hear what you find out, please share when you get to the bottom of this!

Good luck!

5. bigroy

bigroy Member

Might be a torn surround on a speaker. That would cause a reduction in bass, and is not obvious unless you really look for it around the edge of the speaker. Had that problem on an older deluxe reverb.

My $.02.....

6. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll dig a little deeper this week and hopefully find out what's up.

Time for some egg nog..

jz