Welagen Amps

Mike Rubino

I figured that I'd share this considering I wasted alot of time not pulling the trigger. I did alot of research and settled on a Welagen 50 watt ODS head with 2x6L6GC Skyline Electric Robben Ford Voicing.
The amp is fantastic!! I get so many tonal variations, it's just amazing!!! I also had a cab made by Jelle with a Scumback M75-LD speaker. The rig is just so sweet! I highly recommend Jelle Welagen to all my musician buddies!! He is accessible, knowledge beyond belief, cares deeply about his product and the workmanship is second to none. If you buy a Welagen Amplification product you won't be sorry. Be well - Peace!!
- Mike Rubino

Kevi

Id love to know why one would buy this over another custom tweed or even a Fender 57 custom offering.

StratStringSlinger

Id love to know why one would buy this over another custom tweed or even a Fender 57 custom offering.

In my opinion the Tweedledee Deluxe is a refined Tweed Deluxe. It seems to have maybe a bit more headroom and goes into overdrive a lot smoother and hold together better. It's probably got a better controlled bass response. I've A/B-ed with my friend Victoria 20112 and we both really liked the Welagen Tweedledee Deluxe a lot more. I don't really compare this to a true original Tweed Deluxe b/c I haven't played many original Tweed Deluxes; especially right next to my amp but it's probably not a good comparison anyways since the original would have a Jensen Alnico speaker which makes a big difference in tone. I think the Celestion Rocket 50 works great/perfect in this amp; Mr. Dumble really knew what he was doing when he choose the speaker. I've tried the Heritage Greenbacks in my amp (another popular choice for Tweedledees) and I came back to the budget Rocket 50. I haven't played the new Fender 57 Custom but I have played the Fender Edge version; the Edge version was kinda cool (probably what I liked most was the Celestion Alnica Blue speaker) but it seemed to lack headroom more so then even any other 5E3 type amp. For the same price I would go with the Welagen, just take a peak inside one of Welagen's builds. I bought the first Tweedlee he built when I saw him post a gut shot on his Facebook; the build was so beautiful and clean, it just caught my eye.

Kevi

Thanks man. Really appreciate the insight. I've got about 2K to splurge with and would love to add a tweed. I've got an email out to Jelle to see about build time, etc. :) looks like a fantastic offering.

Victoria is top of my list as well. But let's be honest, I'll prolly own them all eventually.

StratStringSlinger

d
Thanks man. Really appreciate the insight. I've got about 2K to splurge with and would love to add a tweed. I've got an email out to Jelle to see about build time, etc. :) looks like a fantastic offering.

Victoria is top of my list as well. But let's be honest, I'll prolly own them all eventually.

Cool. You're welcome. Let us know what you end up getting and your thoughts. I'm not sure if the Victoria is more vintage correct; would probably have to slap an old Jensen Alnico speaker and sit it next to the real thing to know. If you don't need vintage correct and just want a really nice Tweed Deluxe type amp that behaves really good, sounds really good, and built really good then the Welagen is definitely a great choice.

P.S. There's tons of debates on TGP about amp break in. I'm not sure if it's the tubes, speakers, transformers or what but my Tweedlee definitely changed in tone over time. I sent it back to Jelle after like a year or year and a half for some work and he noticed quite difference in tone from when he shipped it to me. It's just got a really nice warm yet clear tone. The breakup tone/overdrive is awesome sounding/real fun to play with.

P.S.S. I think Jelle has also started to offer a few different tweeks to the Tweedledee circuit; FWIW my is the original circuit and after discussing with Jelle, I decided to not get any mods/changes to the amp when he had it on his bench.

Last edited:

Richeray

Silver Supporting Member
Here are some clips of my Welagen Tweed - it's not his standard Tweedledee circuit - not quite sure what he calls it, but if you ask him he'll know.
Mine has a Greenback in it.

m3g

Silver Supporting Member
Jelle, can you chime in on what this particular amp is above please?

65 Strat

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know who does @jellewelagen 's cabinetry work? I'm looking to have D-style head cab made, and his cabs are some of the best D-style cabs I've seen. Thanks!

65 Strat

Also, anyone know if Jelle is still building amps? I've sent him a few e-mails regarding having an amp built, but haven't gotten a response...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom