Welder Recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dB, Apr 21, 2015.

1. dB

dB Member

I'm in the market for a good, versatile welder, under $1k. I am fairly experienced with MIG and stick, and have dabbled with TIG. I really only need a MIG, but a multipurpose welder could be cool as long as the quality of the welder wasn't compromised in the effort to make a 3 in 1, at that price point.

It needs to be able to weld at least 1/4" steel, but 3/8 would be ideal. It should be basically portable and be able to operate at 120v. Alum and SS capabilities would be a plus, but not critical. I'll be using it to fabricate all sorts of odds and ends, as well as sculptural applications.

Any suggestions? The Lincoln Power MIG 210 is the only one that is on my radar at the moment. I owned an ESAB for a while, but am not interested in those this time around.

2. Chad-Chicago

Chad-Chicago Member

Lincolns are good..also check out Hobart, HTP and Miller

3. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

Welding is something I'd love to learn. Just don't know what I'd weld!

4. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i always thought tig was neater than mig (more controlled) and i've had a Miller for 25 years. BUT it's 220v single phase.
    i'm sure there have been vast improvements over the years but i never had much faith in the 110v models.

5. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

Look at a Millermatic, they come in 110v and are excellent little welders that will do everything you are asking except 3/8. If you really need to weld that thickness you need a 220v unit for good and consistent welds.

6. charles28722

charles28722 Member

After running into the limitations of my AC225 arc welder, I did extensive research and settled on this:

Lincoln Power Mig 210 Multi-Process Welder
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K3963-1(LincolnElectric)

It will do:

Flux Core
    Mig
    Tig
    AC / DC stick
    110V or 240V

Fantastic machine and weighs 40 lbs. I love it.
    $1,000 new. Do yourself a favor and invest in the gas and cylinder. With the C25 gas your MIG weld beads will be ready to paint when it cools.

Charles

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Good thread, I need something to weld simple sheet metal repairs (and maybe heavier stuff later on).

8. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

I've had one of the small Lincoln 120V MIG welders for about 15 years- no problems.

9. dB

dB Member

The Lincoln Power MIG 210 and the Miller Millermatic 211 are the two I am eyeing. They cost about the same, but the Lincoln can stick and TIG, whereas the Miller is just a MIG. I don't need stick/TIG, but it would be a nice option assuming these two machines are equal when it comes to MIG.

Anyone know about these two two specifically?

10. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Member

The Miller and Lincoln machines both have excellent reps. A lot of the choice depends on how good is your local dealer (Noooo....only AirGas). The dual voltage (115 and 230 V) mig machines are really cool. Look at the Hobart 210 MVP also. I have the older 230 volt only HH210 that I've run like I stole it. And tapped voltage is not a disadvantage. If you add a C25 cylinder don't get stuck leasing a small 40 or 80 cu/ft tank. Buy a good used or even go new on a 125/150 cu/ft and be way ahead down the road. Seems the new multi-process machines are inverters with digital circuitry, digital controls and LED panels. It may not be an issue but digital circuits, LEDs and gee wizz stuff on welders are possible failure points. Just ask any Retrogrouch.

11. dB

dB Member

Yeah...I'm skeptical of having all that digital stuff and LED screen on the Lincoln. Welders are the type of tool that should last a lifetime, and all that fancy gadgetry at a low $999 price point suggests yet another throw away item that is too costly to fix when the screen stops working.

12. cadduc

cadduc Member

we have miller, Lincoln, and Hobart in our shop, we are welding 304 s/s most of the time, but we do al and mild steel too,

GTAW and MIG (cant recall the new callout now), all three brands have worked well for us,
    the new switch mode supplies are replacing the older linear supplies, but, that is the way it goes

13. cpjim

cpjim Member

i love my HTP 120v mig welder, easy to use and repeatable welds.