Well...Fender got me again.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rhinocaster, Feb 27, 2020.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Been dragging my feet looking for THE Strat....it had to be one of a couple of colors I like on a Strat and I just couldn't really commit to anything.

Love the American Original guitars (my Tele is incredible) but the colors just didn't get it done for me.

Then I get up this morning and there it is!

I think I'm in love...:D

EDIT: The guitar arrived last night and I had a chance to spend real time with it through a Tungsten Mosaic and and Allen Hot Fudge.

The neck is a very nice full C that certainly isn't thin but I can't imagine anyone thinking that it's particularly fat. Basically the same profile as on the AO Telecaster. Bigger than the modern C on a friend's American Performer Tele..but not by a whole bunch.

The setup from Fender was just bad....there was just a bit too much relief so I gave it about 1/8th turn of the truss rod to get it where I like it. With the neck right I was pretty amazed to see a super high action from the factory. I brought the saddles down to what I tend to prefer on a more vintage type Fender. I don't measure string height but it's solidly 'medium' height. Polished the frets and fed the fingerboard a bit. I came together nicely and plays very well. Strings are inboard from the edges of the fingerboard that slipping off isn't a factor, something not always true for Fender. The nut is well cut.

I found the '65 pickups to be really sweet and warmer than I expected. The '69s tend to be my favorite of the Fender pickup offerings and thought the '65s would have more glass and edge but they're very different than the "69s. I don't have any plans to change the pickups. They bring a very easy to like Strat chime and complexity...a tiny bit scooped I think. It's a really nice sound compared to the muscle I get from Teles. I need to just let a Strat be a Strat and avoid trying to make it my "all around" guitar...that has doomed my Strats in the past.

Neck pocket could be better. There is nice contact between the body and neck at the top of the neck pocket but the bass side of the neck pocket is sanded at a small angle and the bottom of the pocket moves away from the nick a small amount. My '55 Wildwood Tele is the same way. Not deal breakers for me but something Fender should do better.

8 lbs 5 oz. puts it on the heavier side of what I tend to prefer in a Strat but it balances well and is comfortable on a strap.

So, a very good Strat is a great color (to me)...I only want one Strat and there's a decent chance it could be this one. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. middy

middy Member

Only if it’s nitro so it will age coral...

saltbird, gerg6, cratz2 and 2 others like this.
  3. rhinocaster

It's nitro...this is a dream guitar package for me when it comes to a Strat.

garthb309, jamme61, ford and 6 others like this.
  4. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Love it. Are they offering the pink for the 50’s AO too?

5. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

D@mn, that’s tempting! :confused: Congrats!

rhinocaster likes this.
  6. rhinocaster

I doubt it...they seem to split colors between the '50s and '60s AOs...except maybe sunburst.

Alder, rosewood and mid '60s grey bottom pickups are THE Strat sound for me. I don't know that I'd draw up a Strat any different than this as my perfect Strat. I do hope that it's a winner...;)

JackButler, AprioriMark, C-4 and 3 others like this.
  7. 8nthatK

8. rhinocaster

Looks like the new '50s Strat color for the AO is Inca Silver....it's pretty badass.

9. 8nthatK

I guess, but never been an Inca fan, on the other hand, LOVE the shell pink.

... sea foam green would have been most cool.

ford and rhinocaster like this.
  10. rhinocaster

Pastel colors on Strats really do it for me...

11. derekd

derekd Member

Pretty sweet.

Congrats!

rhinocaster likes this.
  12. motokev

motokev Member

very nice indeed

13. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely my favorite strat color!
    Congrats!!!!

rhinocaster likes this.
  14. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the pastels colors (Easter eggs!), but I've heard nothing but good things about the American Original lineup.

15. rhinocaster

The American Original guitars are really terrific. Couple of tweaks generally to bring them a step forward for playability but they keep the vintage tones and vibe. Great build quality as well...I'm a big fan.

16. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

So wait, what color does she’ll pink age to with a nitro finish? A yellowed pink that’s almost Tahitian Coral? Or salmon?

17. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! Great color! Shell Pink and Candy Tangerine w/RW necks are still my favs. Enjoy!

saltbird, ford and rhinocaster like this.
  18. T92780

Just fades, doesn't turn into other colors. Here's my faded relic.

19. rhinocaster

The darkness of that rosewood is just awesome...

GGinMP and T92780 like this.
  20. T92780

It was sorted by FCS for dark- congrats again!!

ford and rhinocaster like this.