• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Well I "discovered" Little Feat this week......

parker

I bought "Time Loves A Hero" after reading various posts on Lowell George in this forum.... All I can say is wow! Beautiful band, great playing, and loving the guitar tones the best, anyone care to enlighten me more as to what to delve into? I'm planning on buying "Waiting For Columbus" this week.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
There's a fat man in the bathtub!

GAD

bluesjunior

Buy the two CD version of Waiting for Columbus, the one with the extra live tracks. All of the studio albums are great but try and get a hold of the compiliation album called Hoy Hoy it is full of alternate versions and previously unreleased tracks including a great version of China White. Also check out sites like the Internet Archiv and Sugarmegs for some really great live shows which is truly where Little Feat come into their own.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
Their best post-Lowell album is "Let it Roll"

2leod

Re-Member
:AOK for Little Feat!

Never get tired of that fat, greasy shuffle groove.

8Painting

One of the most under the radar huge bands.

Everyone knows about them, but I've never really heard them on the radio to put it simply.

Go out and get everything with Lowell on it, NOW.

LPSlinger

I bought "Time Loves A Hero" after reading various posts on Lowell George in this forum.... All I can say is wow! Beautiful band, great playing, and loving the guitar tones the best, anyone care to enlighten me more as to what to delve into? I'm planning on buying "Waiting For Columbus" this week.
My favorite studio albums of theirs are Dixie Chicken and Feats Don't Fail Me Now. Waiting For Columbus is a classic, good choice.

JSeth

Love the Feat and the FatMan!!!!

"The Last Record Album" is my fave - although "Dixie Chicken" and "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" are damn close!!!

Check out Lowell's solo LP as well - "Thanks, I'll Eat It Here" - it's really nice, lots of tunes by other folks on it (hard to call them 'covers' 'cause Lowell does such good things with 'em...

Couple stories...

When Lowell was in the Mothers Of Invention, Frank Zappa looked at him one day and said "you know, for a fat guy, you sure have little feet"!!! Hence the band name (or so legend has it...).

For years, Lowell bugged Mo Ostin (at Warner Bros. Records) for the $$$ to make a solo album... finally, after Little Feat had put out a bunch of great LP's, Mo decided to kick down the dough for Lowell's solo project. He asked Lowell "You want me to get a bag (for the cash)?"... and Lowell said "Thanks, I'll Eat It Here"!!!

Such great music and such a wonderful sense of humor... RIP, Mr. George...

parker

thanks guys! Wonderful to read stories about Little Feat and Lowell George..... it seems he really had quite a following, I did more research on the web and found also used Dumble Amplifiers, what a great legendary player, I can't wait to slowly build up my collection. "Time Loves A Hero" is quite amazing though and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

keefsdad

Everything before Lowell died is gold, IMHO. Not to slag their later efforts, still a great band, but I would start with pre '79 stuff. Lowells Solo album is great, too. What a loss :eek:(

snarkle

Silver Supporting Member
Don't forget the first two albums, Little Feat and Sailin' Shoes, recorded when the band was still a quartet. They're not as groove-heavy as the later material, but contain some of Lowell's finest songwriting. In the great curve of musical connection, they sit somewhere between the Stones' Exile on Main Street and Captain Beefheart's Clear Spot...not a bad place to hang out for a while.

But, yeah, Dixie Chicken's probably the best place to start.

As has been noted before, though, anything Lowell's on is worth hearing.

bluesjunior

Love the Feat and the FatMan!!!!

"The Last Record Album" is my fave - although "Dixie Chicken" and "Feats Don't Fail Me Now" are damn close!!!

Check out Lowell's solo LP as well - "Thanks, I'll Eat It Here" - it's really nice, lots of tunes by other folks on it (hard to call them 'covers' 'cause Lowell does such good things with 'em...

Couple stories...

When Lowell was in the Mothers Of Invention, Frank Zappa looked at him one day and said "you know, for a fat guy, you sure have little feet"!!! Hence the band name (or so legend has it...).

For years, Lowell bugged Mo Ostin (at Warner Bros. Records) for the $$$ to make a solo album... finally, after Little Feat had put out a bunch of great LP's, Mo decided to kick down the dough for Lowell's solo project. He asked Lowell "You want me to get a bag (for the cash)?"... and Lowell said "Thanks, I'll Eat It Here"!!!

Such great music and such a wonderful sense of humor... RIP, Mr. George...
It was Roy Estrada who mentioned the fact on Lowells little feet. Frank Zappa or so the story goes fired Lowell from the Mothers when he played Willin' to him and asked if it could go on the next Mothers album.
Lowell wasn't the Fat man in the bathtub with the Blues it was Jim Morrison, who was found like that in the Paris hotel where he died and that is what the song is about.

guitgator

Yep....there's a quantum leap that was made with the Dixie Chicken album....that's where the funky New Orleans vibe really took hold.

Love Billy Payne....Ritchie Hayward....Kenny Gradney....all of it's just too groove for words.

Trending Topics