Well I finally saved up.

Squarehammer

Saved up and finally got a Squier Affinity. Butterscotch and all the parts in black so I can get rid of the chrome. Locking tuners, bridge etc. I'm so not a fan of chrome and like gold even less.
Gonna swap out the stock single coils for my Wilkinson's until I can save for even better pups. If it has mini pots I'll swap those for full size Alphas A250K if they fit, same with the switch. Might put the 5 way in it. Also got a spool of solid core 20 AWG. Sick of messing with strands.
I'd like to strip it down to the bare wood, condition it and just put a clearcoat on but I don't know how popular would look unstained. I have spray sealer, GF pre-stain conditioner and GF gloss topcoat. Anyone have any idea how popular would look without color. If worse comes to worse I could get a water based stain I like and mix it in with the topcoat.
Now I can take these 3 Tele styles I've been working on and pack then away till it's safe to go to my local store and have them look at them an tell me what's wrong.

71z3nhZ+ycL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Squarehammer

And please, before anyone starts with the...well they're cheap why did you have to save up. Just go buy it?
Not all of us have money we can throw at a guitar. Some us barely make enough to live on hence having to save. Until you live my life you have no idea how bad things are.
BUT I'm a musician and I'm gonna damn well get my gear even if it means saving for years to get it!! :aok

BigGreggoTX

Silver Supporting Member
Nice. My buddy bought one of those a few years ago to learn on and other than upgrading the tuners, I don't think he's changed anything. He still loves it. Inexpensive doesn't always mean "cheap". Enjoy!

Edit: And if you want my opinion, I'd leave the color the way it is. Butterscotch and a black guard is a classic look. :)

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
That is a very pretty guitar. Congratulations! How does it sound? Regarding the finish, I think it looks pretty good. I recommend you leave the finish along until you make the electronic changes.

Squarehammer

That is a very pretty guitar. Congratulations! How does it sound? Regarding the finish, I think it looks pretty good. I recommend you leave the finish along until you make the electronic changes.
Sadly I don't get it until Monday! Gonna be a LONG weekend...LOL

Yeah that finish might grow on me. I'm used to having blond.

strawberries

I could play any guitar I want and I've been playing a cv jazzmaster for a while now live. I had to replace the pickups because I sweat into and ruined the original ones which were pretty good. A little on the hot side.

Squarehammer

I could play any guitar I want and I've been playing a cv jazzmaster for a while now live. I had to replace the pickups because I sweat into and ruined the original ones which were pretty good. A little on the hot side.
OMG! That's happened to me several times. I SWEAT on stage badly ad it ruined pups and rusted bridge saddles...lol

Guitarwiz007

Silver Supporting Member
Good luck with your project. Most of us have been there so you buy what is comfortable for you. It sounds fun! I'm not really sure unfinished poplar is for me but you may love it. Found a pic of one here https://www.guitarfetish.com/Unfinished-Single-Cutaway-Body-Solid-White-Poplar_p_1258.html

I think at the very least, I would tint it but most likely just spray it. Might even put a sparkle finish on it. Not sure about the Affinity series but if it's as good as the CV, you're gonna do just fine. I have the Tele and the neck is great. In the process of sanding it down and putting Tru Oil on it but it feels good just don't like finishes on my necks. Slapped a 920D DiMarzio Area pickguard on it and it's a little beast!

Anyway, have fun with your project. Would love to see the final product.

groundmeat

I was thinking the Classic Vibe series was the only Squier sized like a Fender. As in the Affinity has a narrower fretboard, bridge, and string spacing. That doesn't bother you at all?

Before I bought an American Fender strat, I got this little beat up 80 dollar Squier that I was going to upgrade into a better guitar. But then I found out that a Fender bridge was never going to fit on it, so I took it back and got a used Turbo Tubescreamer instead. And for the 4 or 5 days I had that strat before I took it back, I did kinda feel like the string spacing was really cramped.

Squarehammer

Good luck with your project. Most of us have been there so you buy what is comfortable for you. It sounds fun! I'm not really sure unfinished poplar is for me but you may love it. Found a pic of one here https://www.guitarfetish.com/Unfinished-Single-Cutaway-Body-Solid-White-Poplar_p_1258.html

I think at the very least, I would tint it but most likely just spray it. Might even put a sparkle finish on it. Not sure about the Affinity series but if it's as good as the CV, you're gonna do just fine. I have the Tele and the neck is great. In the process of sanding it down and putting Tru Oil on it but it feels good just don't like finishes on my necks. Slapped a 920D DiMarzio Area pickguard on it and it's a little beast!

Anyway, have fun with your project. Would love to see the final product.
I don't like a finish on my neck either. Always sand them down and use tru-oil. The topcoat I use is General Finishes High Performance and it says you can tint it so you get color as you top coat it. But I'm gonna wait till I swap everything out. All that black might look good with butterscotch.

Squarehammer

I was thinking the Classic Vibe series was the only Squier sized like a Fender. As in the Affinity has a narrower fretboard, bridge, and string spacing. That doesn't bother you at all?

Before I bought an American Fender strat, I got this little beat up 80 dollar Squier that I was going to upgrade into a better guitar. But then I found out that a Fender bridge was never going to fit on it, so I took it back and got a used Turbo Tubescreamer instead. And for the 4 or 5 days I had that strat before I took it back, I did kinda feel like the string spacing was really cramped.
No the spacing doesn't bother me. In fact now that arthritis is setting in the less I have to stretch the better.

John Quinn

I've heard of people's sweat wrecking the finish - but I've never heard of sweat damaging pickups. That's wild.

lowyaw

I'd like to strip it down to the bare wood, condition it and just put a clearcoat on
I'd rather not do it. Unless you're in it for the enjoyment of the process of refinishing.
It's not worth the expense, and IMO you won't benefit in any way.

jdogric12

Congrats, OP. I had one of those Affinity Teles in the 00's and they're not bad for the money. Do NOT strip it though. That Fullerplast under there is super nasty stuff and extremely difficult to get off. You're better off just getting an unfinished body from somewhere. If you're patient eventually a cheap enough one will pop up on eVerb or ReBay.

groundmeat

PS. Poplar when it's sanded nekkid should be pretty close in color to the maple on the neck, maybe a tad darker, but not by much. Dunno how poplar takes stain though. I never got that far on my "project".

That's poplar. As you can see, I sanded it with some sandpaper and my bare hand like a caveman, which caused the lighter "liver spots" under the control cavity.

Trending Topics