Well, I guess the Peavey Classic 30 is now Made in China

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by succor, May 13, 2015.

1. succor

succor Member

I received one from Guitar Center after a two-month wait. Just posting so others won't be surprised by the new speaker and place of manufacture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I am shocked.......that it took this long!

3. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Luckily it almost certainly sounds exactly the same. Any speaker can only be an improvement over the Blue Marvel. Still though, I'd prefer to find one on Craigslist. They can be had used for under $300 all day, the new price they charge for them is insanity.

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, it's pretty much vulgar to move production overseas and still charge made-in-the-USA prices.

5. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I paid $300 for a C30 off CL last month. It's the original square baffle and Jetson badge

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The thing is manufacturing is returning to the states as Chinese standard of living has gone up quite a bit. If they didn't devalue their currency it would be a negative to manufacturer over there.

Good amps for the $.

7. americananalog

americananalog Member

8. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

9. slybird

slybird Member

I don't have any problems with items made in China, or any country for that matter, but I do have a problem when the promo vids look like this:

10. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

LOL^^^ Yea that has absolutely nothing to do with music. and doesn't make me want to play or buy the amp any more at all. But do love the Classic 30 I had.

11. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

On a side note I am absolutely baffled that Peavey has never changed their hideous logo that went out of stye in about, oh, 1986 (if it was ever in style. It looks like a logo designed by a 6th grade boy). Image is important, especially for a struggling company.

12. Bucksears

Seriously, that video has to go.
    I've been on the fence about the whole Made In America thing, because I understand the reality of global industrialization and labor costs. You have to stay competitive.
    But Peavey can't keep waving the American flag and show guys on Harleys, pickup trucks, cowboy boots, small towns, etc, in ad for a product not made here at home. At least Fender has kept most of their manufacturing in North America.

Again, maybe Hartley should take a trip up to see Randall Smith and see how he's doing it all MIA...... Then again, Mesa is much less of a conglomerate than Peavey.

I'm fine with their logo, especially in the smaller, oval badge. Just looks better, a little more refined/contained.
    Each company has their own: Ford, Chevrolet, Dell, Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Adobe, Honda, Toyota, Microsoft, AT&T...... I'm sure if Peavey changed theirs, undoubtedly someone somewhere would complain about it. Honestly, that's the least problem I have with them.

Time will tell on the minis, but sad to see the classics (literally) get relocated.

13. supercreep

supercreep Member

The logo is badass imo - very beavisandbuttheadesque.

14. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Enjoy the amps and stop bitching about where its made, video promos and logos....Jeez.

15. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Peavey tried changing their logo years ago and quickly changed it back. It may look dumb, but it is their trademark and they should be proud of it. IMHO it doesn't look any worse that a big "Boogie" logo on the front of a combo. The reason folks have contempt for the Peavey logo is because of the tone of the amps it is installed on.

The reason Mesa does so well with US manufacturing is they have tons of customers that adore their amps and will pay a premium for them, and the great majority of what Mesa makes is guitar and bass gear. They have a narrow focus. Peavey only has a precious few amps people really love, and they also tried to make every piece of gear a band needs. Peavey made a lot of gear but did not really succeed in anything other than lots of good quality/low price gear in a specific era, and those days have passed.

Peralta likes this.
  16. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

The COO was his Son In Law.

Peralta likes this.
  17. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Didn't you see Undercover Boss? Sheesh

18. V-Type

V-Type Member

I dont have a problem with Asian manufacturing.
    I love my big screens and internet devices.
    My problem is deceitfully implying that something is made in USA when clearly its not.
    I,m the type of consumer who tries too look for and purchase as many quality "home made" items as I can.
    I dont have disdain for my fellow working American and do my part too help keep their jobs and livelyhoods.
    It matters too me.
    And Peavey was equal too Crate until EVH set the bar high with his 5150 collaboration.

19. Bucksears

I hope they can find another 'James Brown' - he was the guy behind the Classic line, original 5150, XXX and JSX. Haven't had many original designs since those, aside from the new minis.

20. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

James Brown designed the Kustom Tube amps, which I like even better than the Peaveys. The first Coupe and Hardtop line was made in the US. I've owned a '36 Coupe combo amd '72 Hardtop head, and they were both great amps. I replaced my old hand wired, '60's Fenders, with the Kustoms, because I thought they sounded better. I have since down-sized to a MIC Kustom V15 Defender and Vox TB18C1. The V15 was also designed by James Brown, while the TB18C1 is a Tony Bruno design. I'm very happy with both amps. They seem to be holding up to pretty heavy use. As are my six year old SCXD's, that I use at church, one or two times a week.

Congratulations on the Classic 30. It should give you many years, of trouble free service.

Last edited: May 14, 2015