Well... I ordered the new Eric Johnson Virginia

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dashface, Feb 12, 2020.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

The examples I’ve seen for sale so far seem really heavy. Lots of them well over 8 pounds, some almost 9 pounds. Perhaps sassafras is a fairly heavy wood.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Rafterman

Rafterman Silver Supporting Member

So who has one of the Fender Custom Strat Eric Johnson "Virginia" on order?

3. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know what the price is/will be for the Custom Shop version ? I have not been able to find it. It does look beautiful !

Rafterman likes this.
  4. Kenny Blue

LOL.... I thought that the saying was "Suffer'n Succatash !"

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

$8-9k

6. Kenny Blue

Ahhh.... Well then hopefully the regular production models are good enough !

7. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

I had a '05 or an '06 EJ that I never should have sold. Strange thing is that it's one of those guitars where I don't even remember why I got rid of it really. I loved that guitar and the tone was glorious. I remember really loving the pickups and the neck size/shape in particular. I wasn't too sold on the thick, glossy finish of the neck but that was about my only complaint. I keep meaning to go back and grab another one. I might look into the Viriginia instead now.

8. Phila67

Phila67 Member

It is...See Post 32 :)

9. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I can't seem to find one anywhere...I'm really tempted.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

The Custom Shop or the production model? There are a bunch of the latter on Reverb.

11. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

Email the Custom Shop like I did.
    They sent me a list of where they are going once they are built. Each store only gets one. Most are pre-sold. Only 50 made and shipped worldwide.
    Diligence pays off. ;)

12. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, my diligence went so far as google, because I know if I find one I may pull the trigger...and I really shouldn't pull the trigger on a Custom Shop model....but that flamey neck got me weak in the knees. And I know it would sound great with this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bryan T

The CS definitely caught my eye. But if I’m spending that $ with Fender, it is going to Ron Thorn.

direwolf, WayneM and Shreve like this.
  14. JMJustin

JMJustin Member

Update (to my other mini-review above):

Vis-a-vis stiffness, after raising the action I'll update say it's about the same as my EJ '06. Honestly it feels very similar to play compared to my EJ 06 (this is with that EJ having the bridge floating, which loosens it up). It definitely has the same tremelo block as the EJ with the really shallow holes (shallower I believe than what they even put on custom shop 50s guitars). This would be historically accurate since in 54 the block had these really shallow holes. As I've said, and I know this is disputed, my view is that the block contributes to the stiffer feel due to the string from ball end to tuning pole being longer. My current theory is that the big block and shallow holes also contributes to the unique tone of EJ style guitars--while still articulate, the attack is softer and the notes swell more and there is more presence (the contrast is when the attack hits more at the front end of the note more with an initial ping/punch). Every EJ I've played has this characteristic whereas even 50s style custom shops are all over the spectrum with their attack (not that that's a bad thing).

More on the sound: it has a a bigger, thicker tone than my other strats with lots of harmonic content. The rounder/bigger sound I take it has something to do with more mid-range in the frequency (?). Mine has a really broad range: the lows are really low and piano like and the highs are really high. You can hear it all acoustically. But unique for this is that it also has a certain high end presence--it's hard to describe but you can hear it clean, over-driven, and acoustically; there's a high end sizzle that isn't there on either of my other strats, even the ash (the ash has a lot of high end as well but the timbre is different). It's subtle but definitely there. Basically the sassafras definitely has a unique resonance. I could say more but I'm still getting used to it. Yes, these are all (the Virginia, custom shop 55, and EJ 06) high quality 50s-style strats, there is lots of convergence, and the differences are subtle, but the differences are definitely there. Come to think of it, the description of sassafras on the sweetwater site for Virginia, while in context seems more like marketing hyperbole, actually resonates with me as an accurate description: "Sonically similar to mahogany and walnut, sassafras has creamy mids and lows and a shimmering high end with superb note separation."

Kentano2000 likes this.
  15. Bryan T

What strings are they shipping these with?

16. JMJustin

JMJustin Member

Michaels Stevens (one of the FCS founders who worked on Virginia and developed a sassafras founders tele model) says as much in an interview--that it's a heavier wood. I jumped on the one I bought since it was ~7.75ish pounds (similar to my CS and EJ 06), and I have seen one other online at this weight. Most of the other ones are as you say, between 8 and 9 pounds. I take it that the custom shops will be on the lighter side. Were I still on the market I'd wait 'til Wildwood gets a bunch in, have someone test the lighter ones for the best.

17. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

9-42. Looking at a big box in my hallway. Acclimation.

18. JMJustin

JMJustin Member

One of the one's from Dave's is 10-46. The one I got from a different store also had 10-46. This is confusing since on the spec sheets online it says 9s -- which is odd since he doesn't play 9s and 10s customarily come on EJ guitars.

I had the fellow check with the callipers. I wouldn't assume it's 9s until checking.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  19. Rafterman

Rafterman Silver Supporting Member

I want to know what the "Street Price" vs. the "MAP Price" for the Fender Custom Shop version.
    It's $9,000 MAP according to Guitar World.

20. JMJustin

JMJustin Member

I asked a fellow this question I know at a big high end retailer that will be getting one. Whereas custom shops are often sold for much less than the list price at this store, I was told that on a limited edition with only 50 made, when they'll only be getting one, it will most likely go for the MAP. And he told me that typically the guitar has been sold before the limited edition even arrives. I had been hoping that it might sell for like $7K, but I doubt that will be the case, or I wouldn't expect it. With a really low supply and enough demand, they can sell for full MAP. But we will see! If one sits at a store for awhile you could make an offer. But I know that when the Slash Brazilian Dreams came out, selling for 12k, those things sold like hotcakes (but then again Slash is much more popular than Johnson).

I thought about getting one. But I'd want to play it and there's a part of me that I think would have a guilty conscience playing a 9k guitar, thinking, 'this is great, but this is a bit ridiculous'. For a true vintage instrument it's different since there is the historical aspect. The production model to me is at a good price point for lots of good features and a good build. $250 in 1954 would be equivalent to $2388 today, so this is close expense-wise :)

Rafterman likes this.