1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Well It Ain't Rock And Roll But....

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Shawn Tubbs, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Hey you guys. This is actualy another Gypsy Jazz deal but it was kinda fun to try. It's a bit spaz but...Anyways it's appropriately named "What Just Happened". I'm going to do some more electric stuff soon but I thought you guys might get a giggle or two. Go to the link and it should be the first tune I Hope! Technology is not my friend lately.

Best

Shawn

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=457035

2. Burnsonix

Burnsonix Supporting Member

Hey Shawn,

had a quick listen - really dig your playin' man. The gypsy jazz stuff is not really my thing normally, yet I did enjoy your tracks - brings a smile to my face, kind of joyful music to me :)

I'd love to hear you do some more tracks or even a full cd of stuff like the "Test Run" track - to my ear, very Landau-esque and cool vibe.

Looking forward to hearing more music from you.

Regards,
    Graeme.

3. fig

fig Member

Excellent, Shawn! I can't even think that fast . . . :AOK

Greg

4. 900

900 Member

Very cool :BEER, I like that gypsy stuff alot. Did you also play the rhythm guitar?

What I would like to know is which guitar builders are making good "Django" or Maccaferri/Selmer style guitars today. Any tips of makers/makes to check out??

5. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Whoa :eek: ! That's some great playing Shawn! :AOK

Thanks for sharing.

6. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Thanks Guys,

It's just kind of a fun style. It's funny how guitarists who aren't even really into this stuff will sit through a few tunes. I'm pretty hooked on Gypsy Jazz but I'm still into that rock and roll those kids listen to. I'm still in search of tone always.

Thanks for listening you guys

Shawn

7. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Thanks man!!

I did do the ryhthm gweetar as well as strangling the bass. As far as Selmer style guitars go theres a lot of guys. Send me a PM and I'll get you some links ok?

Best

Shawn

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

very cool. nice to hear something different for a change. Nice job and thanks for sharing!! :)

9. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Thanks for listening!

Best

Shawn

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Shawn,

If you're not already "somebody"....you should be. :D

Great clips....thanks.

11. mikem

mikem Senior Member

What can I say- that was great! This is the type of stuff that I like to listen to now and again- I don't know a hell of a lot about it, but it really boogies along- kind of a ragtime feel to it. I really enjoyed that, thanks.

Mike

12. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

I'm a pretty good Dad and my daughters think I'm pretty cool so I guess that makes me a somebody but the girls are 2 and 5 years old so the clock is unfortunately ticking on that one... They'll be teenagers sooner than I think and I'll be hearing that tune by the Beatles over and over again..Hows it go? "He's a real nowhere man..":jo Thanks for the very kind words!!

Shawn

13. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Very nice, indeed. I think Django has been reincarnated. :)

Always been a fan of the Rosenbergs and Django & Grapelli.

14. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Wow!! Your very kind. Only in my wildest of imagination but thank you!! It's crazy that Django played the things he played with basically the use of his first 2 fingers and a thumb on his left hand. I'll never play the things he played even if I borrowed a couple more fingers.

Stochelo and Jimmy Rosenberg pretty much haunt me but I truly lose sleep when I hear Bireli Lagrene play Gypsy Jazz. If you haven't seen the Bireli and freinds DVD, do yourself a favor and get it. Not only is Stochelo playing with Bireli, but Angelo Debarre,Tchavalo Schmitt and ....It's a clash of the Gypsy Jazz titans!!And Florin Niculescu on violin is just amazing.

Thanks for the comment

Shawn

15. mbruffey

mbruffey Supporting Member

Shawn, is there a book I could get to show me how to get into those great gypsy jazz riffs? I'm would probably be considered an "advanced" (Chet) picker, but not in the gypsy jazz or even jazz genres, and I play by ear although I can read music. Where do you START with this kind of stuff? Thanks, Mark

16. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Holy schnikeys!! First today at Namm, i have Tomo completely blow my mind. Later, it's Greg V....then some cat named Ede was amazing. Now I hear this.....totally incredible.
    Me thinks i should just go work at Blockbuster video now.!!!......:horse

Shawn, met your friend Dan Strain today, nice guy.....we were talking about you and Glenn being monsters.

17. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

No way!!Blockbuster would never let you crank an amp!! Glad you met Dan. Pearce is seriously kick arse!!Thanks for the compliment. Have fun a Namm.

Shawn

18. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

The right hand technique for Gypsy Jazz is what will kill you at first but if your a Chet guy you should have no problem grasping the concepts of the riffs themselves. They are really quite simple. Here is a link to a site that has a bunch of great books.

http://www.djangobooks.com/

Lots of great books. You should check out Gypsy Fire since your advanced and then get a couple live DVDs while your at it so you can see and hear what these dudes are doing. The Rosenberg Trio, Bireli Lagrene, Angelo Debbare are may faves. Especially Bireli.

Have fun!

Best

Shawn

19. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Great stuff Shawn!

I saw Angelo Debarre last year in Redwood City CA at the Djangofest and he was astonishing! He's got some music out with an equally phenomenal accordian player (forgetting his name at the moment) that will blow your mind.

20. Shawn Tubbs

Shawn Tubbs Member

Angelo and Bireli are pretty much theeee guys as far as the Gypsy Jazz community is concerned. Those poor Jazz accordian players. They always do stuff that would actualy make a guy defend accordians to some degree but ....I can't remember that dudes name either.

Thanks for the listen :)

Shawn