Well my Elmwood showed up today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by whoismarykelly, Jan 21, 2008.

1. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

... and the faceplate is cracked. So much for that.

2. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

Sorry to hear that...its depressing with all the money spent...where do they ship them from?

3. whoismarykelly

I bought mine from Rebel Amps and Josh said hed get me a new one as soon as hes back from NAMM.

4. whoismarykelly

Ive been playing it for the last hour and a half and it sounds great. It sounds a lot like the diezel I had but with all the cut and sizzle that the Diezel didn't have. Nice and thick and very loud. The clean channel is pretty nice too which was a good surprise. All in all its a thicker and throatier version of my 2 channel dual rectifier with a bit more versatility. The loop seems to have no effect on tone as well which wasn't the case with my bogner.

5. Iliketapping

Iliketapping Member

Nice, can you give us a full review in a near future?

6. whoismarykelly

Probably. Ill go through a bunch of stuff when I get a replacement. It sounds great and the video clips on the elmwood site are very true to the actual sound of the amp. Its extremely throaty and thick which I like. Now that I think about it, its not really a super saturated amp so it doesn't seem to have the over the top gain of some amps. Ill have to play it a bit more but for some of the weird tapping stuff I do it will take some work to get used to this head.

7. whoismarykelly

I love the sound of the amp too. Everything is really sensitive too. The mid is almost like a mid boost control as the sweep is huge and little 3-5 degree changes make a pretty big difference in the character of the amp. Im not far from noon on everything though.

8. whoismarykelly

Interesting note - A zendrive and the boosted clean channel produces the thrashier metal tones of my rectifier.

9. Lution

Lution Member

which modena did you get?

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

How much available gain on the M90 compared to the VH4? Is the M90 closer to the VH4's channel 3 or channel 4 gainwise? I know it's not compareable to an Uberschall, but I'm just trying to get a general idea.

Also how much bass and low end is there on tap? I've heard some owners complain about a lack of low end and useable bass?

Thanks.

11. whoismarykelly

There is plenty of bass but Im not tuned to G or anything. It has a deep control and bass controls for the channel and Im very far from wringing them out.

The Elmwood sounds a lot like channel 3 of the diezel except the diezel was kinda flat and didn't have any aggressive edge to it. With the boost, channel 2 gets a little more compressed and even thicker which is closer to VH4 channel 4 except the VH4 compressed WAY too much. You could uses channel 2 boosted for rhythm on this amp with ease and that wasn't possible with the diezel. There is a lot of gain on tap but again its like the diezel gain where it doesn't saturate as much so it stays very focused. If you have a boost out front that will give you the over the top gain for solos.

12. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

Josh gives amazing customer service! He will take good care of you.:BEER

13. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Tons of fat, Tight useable low end on tap. Holds together and sounds huge.

14. sled

sled Member

15. joshsage

joshsage Member

Order is placed for a replacement. Just called Peter at his Hotel in Anaheim. They will build a new one when they get back.. Ups will be informed of yours tomorrow. Keep the one you got for now, and play it like its stolen!
    Josh

16. whoismarykelly

LOL. Ive been playing it all day and love it. BTW everyone - I called Josh the second I saw the damage and he told me the gameplan right away. If I ever need an amp that he sells, I would absolutely go through Rebel Amps!