Well, OD-3, you've done it again...

southpaw pete

I am currently playing a Godin through a stock Blues Jr.
Really enjoying the little amp, and have spent the last few months switching out different dirt boxes from my collection to see which ones fit best for what I am looking for - usually a low gain, gritty clean that thickens up as I dig in...

I've been switching out the Barber LTD and 1/2 Gainer, Boss BD-2, OD-3, and the Visual Sound Open Road, Route 808 and Jekyll and Hyde...
(I've been through many, many other overdrives over the years, but these are the ones still kicking around). Well, darn'd if it isn't the good ol' Boss OD-3 on the top of the list for me! It cleans up nicely, is relatively transparent and has just enough of a gentle roll-off to not sound too bright or harsh. The others are all good in their own ways, but the OD-3 just sounds like the best match (for now).
Of course, if I switch out the speaker to something warmer like the Cannabis Rex that may all change.

Now I am trying to decide what pedal to stack with it for leads. Of my current selection, running the Open Road into the OD-3 seems to work pretty nicely. Are there any others I should try for this application?

MilwMark

I have now imposed a 7 day cooling off period on myself regarding selling the OD-3 to fund a new toy. This is the third time I've owned it. The first two times I foolishly convinced myself the new toy would surpass it. Not so. By day 3 and actually listening to the pedal, I always decide the new toy will not surpass the humble OD-3.

Last edited:

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Funny, I've been hearing great things about this pedal for almost 10 years. Way before a lot of the "best-OD-ever" pedals hit the market, but I've never tried one.

MilwMark

Seriously worth trying. The one issue (for some) is that it either lets a lot of bass through or even adds some. If you like to stomp pedals on and off, this can create an issue if you are playing at gig levels.

If you play mainly at home OR if you leave it on all the time (and can EQ the amp around the bass if it is excessive) it is a home run for the price.

YMMV, IMHO, ETC., ETC. ETC.

thecornman

Love the OD-3! I own about 20 dirt pedals and this one is at the top of the list for me. Use it at home and with my band with great results.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
my favorite for a strat into a fendery clean
currently run this
gypsy fuzz>>od3>>klon>>katana (or timmy)

i use the klon and katana/timmy spots for different color boosts (little to no gain but volume added)

been through a ton of overdrives. analogman, skreddy, wampler, blah, blah . . . . you know the drill

it turns out i 'got it right' the first time.

amstrtatnut

Ive been thinking of a lite drive with a little more oomph than my bd2. My local gc doesnt carry od3.

Id love a timmy but I cant justify one without trying less pricey options first. Plus I want a Euphoria and cant justify paying for both.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
Ive been thinking of a lite drive with a little more oomph than my bd2. My local gc doesnt carry od3.

Id love a timmy but I cant justify one without trying less pricey options first. Plus I want a Euphoria and cant justify paying for both.
od3 and a bd2 is a great 1-2 punch

Mike Duncan

Staff member
I've been through ALL of the drives and just keep coming back to the OD-3. It just does what I want a drive to do...it's not boutique or handmade, but it sure sounds great!

southpaw pete

I am amazed at how well the OD-3 has held out against so many "boutique" contenders over the years. I spent some more time running through it at my church this afternoon, and found the Barber 1/2 Gainer to be a great match to stack into it - I just needed to open it up and give a few small tweaks. I will see how it sounds with the full band on Sunday. I plan to keep the OD-3 on the whole time with the gain all the way down, and then hit it with a boost from one side of the 1/2 Gainer for thicker rhythms, and then the other side of the 1/2 Gainer (gain maxed) for my massive, mind-blowing solos and such lol. :omg

phazersonstun

I owned my 1st OD-3 for years & loved it.
Then came TGP. Tried a gajillion others but came back to it multiple times.
I'm on my 3rd one now & I would doing the stupids if I sold it again.
Sounds excellent regardless of what guitar / pick ups / amp I throw at it.

I have now imposed a 7 day cooling off period on myself regarding selling the OD-3 to fund a new toy. This is the third time I've owned it. The first two times I foolishly convinced myself the new toy would surpass it. Not so. By day 3 and actually listening to the pedal, I always decide the new toy will not surpass the humble OD-3.
Ha, I've bought the OD-3 3 times now myself. I've decided to 'go in a different direction' with it twice now, but then just wanted it back after a few weeks.

I don't know what application the OP is using OD within, I've been alternating stacking mine with either a Plimsoul or a Teaser Stallion, but I've liked the Plimsoul most recently. But I also usually hit the OD-3 with a Retro Sonic Preamp also. They make a pretty good combination, you can get some really chunky, bassy but sustainy noises out of them together.

dean owens

Always heard the OD-3 was an improved BD-2 so I gave it a shot. It was good but I basically set it like a less distorted version of my Mooer Hustle Drive. It was nice because it had the "same" sound just with less drive. But I missed my BD-2.

Having heard all the Timmy praises I figured I'd give it a go after trying the OD-3. What am I doing 4 months later? Selling my Timmy to go back to my BD-2. We all have different ears so thankfully they make different pedals.

Good luck in your search.

Adel2

I performed the Monte Allums mod on mine and I don't like what it's become. I should have kept the mods to the 'HiFi' portion -THAT sounded great. I've been eyeing the Mesa Tone Burst to use for transparent boost and low gain, but I'm wondering if I should just get another stock OD3 for that purpose.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Imagine how cool it would be if the OD-3 had tone controls!

Oh wait.....that's the ODB-3!

Michael A.

Imagine how cool it would be if the OD-3 had tone controls!

Oh wait.....that's the ODB-3!

So how about a report on how the ODB-3 sounds when used with guitar? I was wondering, since there seem to be more of these on the used market than the regular OD-3. Thanks.

KevinFinn

Count me in with the "cuckoo for OD-3" crowd.

I've owned/played dozens and dozens and dozens of drives.

It's always been in my top 3.

Trending Topics