well, ordered a telemaster body :)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Ashe, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

from an ebay seller called one eyed jack customs
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Handmade-Telemaster-Jazzcaster-Unfinished-Body-Built-your-specs-/200721515641?pt=Guitar&var=&hash=item746d439cd3

i messaged him a few times and each time he was helpful and concise, which is quite alot compared to how many ebay sellers seem like illiterate children.

he also will be routing out the bridge for a jazzmaster/bigsby style bridge, which i also received off ebay.

p.s. if this doesn't fit within this forum please move it, i thought since the guy does guitar bodies and isn't a big company that it fitted here.

edit: when the body comes in i'll be sure to take pics, and this is also where i'll put my ngd photo's

2. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Interesting. Let us know the quality of the body. It looks like it is going to be a fun project.

3. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks really cool. Post pics as the build goes along.

4. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

i will, the builder even asked for a email address or cell he could send progress pictures too. right now he has 2 or 3 people ahead of me, but they are almost finished. so it should be started within the next week or so :)

he did send me a picture of the wood he would be using, but i like a idiot accidentally hit the delete button :(

the wood is a pretty uniformly grained alder, since i like the weight and feel of alder quite a bit. plus unplugged alder doesn't sound too bad either.

5. throbert

throbert Member

Pretty cool. The JM body is very comfortable and could be nice with tele pickups. His prices seem reasonable also. Keep us posted.

6. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

well i sent off my bigsby kit to him to have it drilled, so i'll let you know when it gets there. once it arrives he'll start with the body :)

7. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

here's an update

this is the body blank that will be used:
    [​IMG]
    here's the rough carve with the neck pup routed:
    [​IMG]

8. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

[​IMG]

here's the neck pocket routed out.

9. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

Looking good!

Thanks for the update picks.... I might pick up a body for a long range project after watching this to completion.

10. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

you should look into it, he's definitely keeping me up to date and works efficiently.

http://oejcustomguitars.com/Home_Page.php is his website. its still a work in progress, but i love whats happening so far.

11. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

countours are cut out and body is ready for shipping :D

i'll be using duplicolor paint and using a goldtop styled finish. if i feel up to it i'll use black sides.

12. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

body came in today, going to go and take pics now.

i'm either going to layer on the primer tonight or tomorrow.

13. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm going to be priming the body either today or tomorrow.

14. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

15. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

thanks :) unfortunately i don't have access to a painting booth right now so i'll have to wait until there's a non windy day to paint.

16. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

decided to try my hand at staining instead.

it looks good so far, i did not do a wash coat so it as a rustic vibe going on. which is funny to me because i'm using hot pickups so this thing will growl.
    however i will be applying a few layers to reduce the blotching effect going on so hopefully it turns out well.

17. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

That thing looks great. I stumbled upon their eBay listing today and this looks to be right up my alley. I'm looking to get a hardtail alder body with two P90 routes with that telemaster shape. Looking forward to updates!