1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Well That Sucks, Avatar.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShortyK, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

Hunting for speakers to fill out my other 2x12, went to Dave's yesterday, shopped for some Eminence GB12's, had a link and prices for all their speakers. Go back today to order the speakers and the link is gone.

WTF

Sent an email, 10 hours later get a response.

They no longer sell individual Eminence speakers, only pre-installed in their cabs.

crap:jo

2. pm81

pm81 Member

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Oops, timing is everything.

Considering their prices, it probably turned into a losing proposition for them.

4. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

No doubt. I ALWAYS shop there first. Man how the times are a changin'

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Most people do like to eat:)

6. Boogs

Boogs Member

Weber no longer carries them, either. Those were the two places I liked to buy them the most (great prices and service). Prices seem to be going up too...

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

They are all over for $79. But I recently just saw a new ones for $59. Just look and shop. I just bought a slightly used set of GB12's and a 122 for $79!! Kick Azz!:AOK Just shop to you drop..........they are outthere!

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

9. jeak

jeak Member

I just posted this in another thread. Try Bernie at BLT Sound. I bought two raw Emis from him a few months ago. Same prices as Avatar with even better service.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If a dealer doesn't sell "X" number of speakers his discount gets bumped making it impossible to make a profit without raising prices.

This might be why some of the Emi dealers are dropping the line.

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Man that stinks, I was thinking about some Wizards.

12. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

hmmm. i just checked weber and avatar and you guys are right. i also noticed that avatar didn't have cabinets listed empty. i have bought several cab form them in the past empty and they were a great value. oh well.

13. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

Thanks for the replys. I was able to score a pair for 59 bucks each.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The price difference without speakers is going to be minimal with most all cab builders.

Quality woods are expensive and there is a lot of labor going into a cab. That's where your money is going.

A builder gets speakers at a discount because they're buying large quantities. Therefore, buying a cab without speakers isn't going to alter the price much at all.

Do some math. Ordering with speakers, then selling them if you don't like them, might be a better deal.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

They're not dropping Eminence, just not selling individual speakers anymore. It's kinda like calling up Fender wanting to by an indiviual string...what's the point for Fender? They can't make money that way..same with the cabinet guys. Dave is too busy with the cabinets to be worried about competing with Musicians Friend and Parts Express in making $5 off a speaker sale.