Well. The not-so-panic selling has begun.

lamenlovinit

I'm a National Guitar fan. Went on Ebay, and searched "National guitar". At least twice as many listings as I'm used to. Some fair, some unreasonable, as usual. But one... One dude... Selling a used guitar I own. More than double what I paid used. 1.57 times what a new one cost! And I know what you're thinking. It's not "From Japan" which normally explains a crazy price.

Anybody have any fun examples where a guitar you are intimate with showed up for sale at a ridiculously crazy price?

bdm

Supporting Member
I’ve noticed a couple of the bigger name vintage guitar dealers have just listed a bevy of “holy grail” vintage guitars: 50s & 60s Gibson’s and Fenders, etc

The thought crossed my mind; “who is dumping all this amazing gear”?

Last edited:

Frozen Rat

Gold Supporting Member
I'm seeing an increase of examples from boutique makers like Goodall, Santa Cruz, Froggy, etc. It won't take many of those to really dilute the market price of those guitars. Like the OP noticed, some of these sellers are standing far outside the reality bubble.

stratplexi

Supporting Member
Actually most things are down, just not down enough for me to be tempted. Remember, asking prices are fantasy...
I have made several offers with no dice. I am pretty picky though...I won’t buy anything that isn’t excellent or mint and all original. To each their own but I don’t want to risk buying someone’s butchered experiment. I stay away from boutique and vintage too as I am not informed.

daacrusher2001

Supporting Member
I'm interested in a Silver Sky - found a pretty nice used one and can't get a reasonable discount - even tho' it has some finish scars. I'm ok with the scars as they're minor, and I'll use it for gigs in low places. But, seriously - I could get a new one for about $150 more.

motokev

Well. The not-so-panic selling has begun.

The only out of control prices I see are from Europe and Japan. I don't get the Japan thingy.

As more and more jobs are lost, we'll see more listings in the USA.

motokev

Yep, recently sold a Tele to someone who "really wanted the guitar but only had so much cash".
4 days later, relisted at 50% more.
I sold a really nice TA. One month later the guy relisted it. But, with Tax and shipping I figure he made maybe 20%.
Why bother.....
people.....

lamenlovinit

Yep, recently sold a Tele to someone who "really wanted the guitar but only had so much cash".
4 days later, relisted at 50% more.
I've been approached by folks claiming that they used to own the instrument I'm selling. Looking for an offline bargain. They cold never give me any details to prove it.
I'd never be so callous as to sell a guitar I'd been intimate with.
I'm not an animal. I'm talking about someone selling the same model as one you've known deeply. One you've gently caressed the strings of. One you've coaxed sweet sighs, and deafening roars from.

Oh my. I seem to have caught a case of the vapors!

COYS

I don't see any panic, and a few new fleabay listings for National steel guitars seems like a tiny market to be judging it by

Trending Topics