• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Well, the trainwreck happened...

guitarmook

I will be 50 my birthday. This girl will be 21 her birthday. Work her hard for about a year or two..STEADY..Practice a couple of nights a week, set lists, songs that are up to date, fresh, no down time in between songs, work the sets up to 45 and take a 15 minute break, don't cheat the club on break times, everybody in the band professional and ready to go. Guitars in tune, Sound man doing his job! "BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME"...Throw in a few originals AFTER she has polished up her act...All I want is the best for this young lady. I've gone as far as I can with MY MUSICAL CAREER...I just hate seeing a GREAT VOICE go to waste. :cool:
I worked with a great voice for a while. A short while. She and 'the producer' were putting a band together to start working the songs she bought and recorded in Nashville. We were a couple decent players, and a couple weekend warriors, trying to hold her together long enough to put 3 sets together. We did a few open mic nights, just to get up on stage and do 3 songs, to keep the juices flowing. She had an exceptional voice, was working on the presentation thing. But she was a headcase, and couldn't keep it together - I used a few connections to get gigs, and when she cancelled a gig I used a favor to get, and booked another gig that night, and didn't 'invite' me, I walked. I have not heard that she ever actually got a band together and played around town or anywhere else.

I'm not saying don't try. I still remember the hair-raising moments onstage, and we only played a half-dozen gigs. She got a $20 tip after 2 songs at a Monday night open mic. But there's a reason she's not any farther along, and it may be the same with your gal and her family. Have fun, but don't expect too much.

SteveGaines

I worked with a great voice for a while. A short while. She and 'the producer' were putting a band together to start working the songs she bought and recorded in Nashville. We were a couple decent players, and a couple weekend warriors, trying to hold her together long enough to put 3 sets together. We did a few open mic nights, just to get up on stage and do 3 songs, to keep the juices flowing. She had an exceptional voice, was working on the presentation thing. But she was a headcase, and couldn't keep it together - I used a few connections to get gigs, and when she cancelled a gig I used a favor to get, and booked another gig that night, and didn't 'invite' me, I walked. I have not heard that she ever actually got a band together and played around town or anywhere else.

I'm not saying don't try. I still remember the hair-raising moments onstage, and we only played a half-dozen gigs. She got a $20 tip after 2 songs at a Monday night open mic. But there's a reason she's not any farther along, and it may be the same with your gal and her family. Have fun, but don't expect too much.
Like I said, She just graduated high school at 19..She is 20 and will be 21 this year. So she hasn't been in but ONE BAND..Yes sir, No Sir, type of young lady to me. And you are right..There might be "A REASON"..and it might have to do with "FAMILY"...Time will tell. I'll keep you guys posted.:cool:

Thanks for all the advice that's been given...

Steve

SteveGaines

"BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER".. She wants to keep brother in the band NO matter how bad he is...There are three other "CHICK BANDS" in the area that play metal and she's wanting to play their stuff. ..Tried to tell her to "BE HERSELF" and not like the other bands...I"ll just cut my loses and move on..Oh, well...

chucke99

"BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER".. She wants to keep brother in the band NO matter how bad he is...There are three other "CHICK BANDS" in the area that play metal and she's wanting to play their stuff. ..Tried to tell her to "BE HERSELF" and not like the other bands...I"ll just cut my loses and move on..Oh, well...
Jeez. Too bad. Unless your brother is Dave Davies or Malcom Young, this strategy almost never works out.

teleman55

Whack job singers are a dime a dozen. Steer clear, like you would in a ship with an iceberg. Don't matter how good they can sound in the right setting...don't matter at all. The worst are the ones who sound great doing kareoke and think they can automatically jump to a band then find out it don't work that way. A real singer ain't gonna put you through this stuff. Maybe it's 'cause she's young you make these allowances. But a real singer (I've played with/for a few), whether 15 or 75, won't gonna put you through that stuff.

Jeff Michael

Good singers are a dime a dozen. Stop wasting your time.

And all you guys who are thinking "put her in front of a good band and she'll wake right up to the difference" have obviously never worked with the submissive type of chick singer. This chick might not be that type, but understand that they're out there, and there's no sense whatsoever in talking anything to them if they've already picked the man they're going to defer to. Creepy but true.

JAM

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
I had a similar experience. Girl was being "managed" by bf's father. No experience in music. He made sure no one could contact her or communicate with her except through him And surrounded her with older weak bar band weekend players. I couldn't stand it. I felt she was also being prevented from learning the business part as well as growing musically. This seems to happen most often with young women unfortunately.. Oh well.

lhallam

Much like breaking up with a long term girlfriend, I bet you feel like you've been wasting your very valuable time.

hudpucker

If the part is 'too hard to learn/play' then the band is too crummy to play in front of an audience.

SteveGaines

If the part is 'too hard to learn/play' then the band is too crummy to play in front of an audience.

He's the one who can't pick..And she wants to "METAL OUT"...There are two or three "bands' who have chick front singers and she is doing the same material they are...That is what is sad...instead of being "DIFFERENT" and doing her own thing...Oh. well.. "No sweat off my back"...

SteveGaines

I think this is your cue to leave the group.
I wanted to talk with her about picking with "SOME MUSICIAN"S I PUT TOGETHER" and she's want's to keep brother in the band no matter what..I was just a hired gun"..No problem for me leaving as I was never in,,,

Trending Topics

Top Bottom