Well they are both the same price now,whats your preference? Nocaster or Les Paul VOS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soothsayer, Feb 2, 2008.

What do you think? Both excellent guitars.

1. Nocaster Relic is It for me!

2. VOS, no question about it!

3. Neither, way to much cash for a guitar!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Too pricey for my wallet at this time. But if I had the cash, the LP would be my choice. I am not paying $3K for a new Fender, as much as I love Fender.

3. 777

777 Member

I dig Fenders too. I have a Custom Shop Strat. But I would not pay $3k for a Fender. Very good Fenders can be had for less.

OTOH, really good Gibsons don't come for much less. I have an R7.

BTW, check prices Center City Music.

4. nangillala

nangillala Member

Do you just want to collect them or do you want a player? It would be the Tele for me, because I just don't like the Gibson Scale, but at the moment I have to vote way to much cash for a guitar! :)

5. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

Coming from a mainly Fender guy, I'd say the Gibby. That's a heck of a deal.

6. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Unfair question! I'd never pay extra for a pre-beaten guitar.

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I'm more a LP guy, but my relic nocaster kicks some major ass!

Both are great guitars, if I were more a Fender guy I'd have no problems with the nocaster as a #1.

8. usc96

usc96 Member

I already have a Custom Shop Nocaster, so the LP. Wait, I already have one of those too, just not a custom shop version. :p I'd go for an 8 lb Les Paul. :AOK

What's interesting is the NOS Nocaster they were blowing out in December for $1599 is now listed at $2,612.80 on their website. And that's their sale price. :eek:

9. dave s

dave s Member

I'm with 777. You can certainly pickup a pretty nice CS tele for $1500-2000 and have $1G or MORE leftover!

BTW, I voted for the Tele!

dave

10. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Where are you going to find a new Custom Shop Nocaster now for less than $2100 -- with two cases and a COA? They might have been blowing them out in December -- but that was the NOS version. Everyone wanted the more expensive Relic version and the NOS guitars didn't sell. Far as I know -- that deal is long gone and won't be coming back anytime soon.

Can anyone advise?

11. usc96

usc96 Member

This may be true, but I wonder why nobody wanted the NOS version?

12. devinb

devinb Member

I just added up the value of my gear, and I'm at about $5000 total...that's two 1960's Gibson acoustics, a USA G&L, and two hand wired amps...

I don't think I could pay that sort of price for a single guitar, maybe a real great vintage guitar...that range isn't far off what you could get a Jaguar or Jazzmaster for...

I think I'd have a lot of buyers remorse...

13. LittleC

LittleC Member

Already have the Fender.

Could use the Gibson.

14. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

Wow. Fender is crazy charging money like that. Don't get me wrong, Gibson's prices are insane too, but you can't bolt a Gibson together out of licensed after market parts at home. And I have never played an Epiphone that came close to a Custom Shop Les Paul. But I have played a MIM 50s Classic Tele that sounded and played better than a Fender Custom Shop Nocaster. And I have owned partscasters that beat them both. The Fender Custom Shop is in a really weird position, and I just don't see they how they justify themselves sometimes. (As talented as they are, to be fair.)

15. digthosetubes

The reason the NOS Nocaster reissues were sold at large discounts is that some large chains overestimated the demand for the NOS version and underestimated the demand for the Relic version. So they ended up with large inventories of NOS Nocasters, which they wanted to clear out. Turning inventory over is the name of the game in retailing. Better to sell something at cost and make room for new product you can hopefully sell at a greater profit. It's called "turns," and is particularly important for retailer holding large inventories. Who knows how many NOS units they had on hand that they wanted to move out.

About a year ago, I came real close to buying a NOCASTER relic version. The guitar just felt great. But it cost $2300 at that store and I couldn't quite justify it.

When I saw an opportunity to buy the same guitar in NOS version for $1599, I didn't hesitate. Fantastic deal. Fantastic guitar. The list price of the NOS version in several hundred less than the Relic. Much less handwork in the NOS version. But all that relic work doesn't have much to do with tone, although it will influence the way the guitar feels in your hands.

16. digthosetubes

You can get the Relic for a lot less than $3000. The current price for a NOS Time Machine Custom Shop Nocaster is $2125 at a venerable music retailer in Maryland near DC. I would expect a "custom shop" LP to cost a lot more. There is a lot more handwork, parts, and fancy materials that go into that guitar -- not to mention all that mahogony. There's an eye-opening video on this site that shows how gibson makes LPs. Very quicklly. Certainly mass production was the whole idea behind the Broadcaster/Telecaster. There's not a simpler guitar that sounds any better. I've played some new LPs that are retailing at $2000. They sound pretty good.

Something that applies to all guitars, no matter how much handwork goes into them: some are going to sound great. Some will sound mediocre. You can fork over $20,000 to someone to build you a guitar. No guarantee you will like it. A good recent study proved clearly that people think the wine they paid more for tasted better than the wine they paid less for. Same wine.

17. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Vintage check your pm.

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

LP only because you can get a 52RI Tele for half that. Why pay $3K for the nocaster?

19. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

You can usually get either one for 40% off retail, which puts a Nocaster Relic in the $2300 area and the VOS R8 around $2800 or so. In fact I've seen even better than that for the Gibson at some dealers.

As to which is better, I think it's apples and oranges depending on what you're going to play on it. Either one is a great guitar!

20. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Member

Les Paul and don't look back. There going up in price again and faster than Fender.